British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Conor44

Adjustment Marks on Early Milled- Yay or Nay?

Hi everybody,

Just thought id ask a quick question regarding minor adjustment marks on early milled silver coinage- I'm not talking about a massive amount that completely take away from the coin, but something along the lines of the picture below. Do they alter the value of a coin- I understand they don't alter grade providing there isn't too many and due to the fact that they are mint- made. Basically, would you buy coins with adjustment marks like these or do you hate them?

Thanks, C44

img.jpg

img2.jpg

It boils down to aesthetics. Can you live with them or not? I would choose to not have them with all other things being equal, but wouldn't refuse a coin just because it had adjustment marks.

44 minutes ago, Conor44 said:

Do they alter the value of a coin- I understand they don't alter grade providing there isn't too many and due to the fact that they are mint- made.

Adjustment lines do reduce eye appeal and will inevitably lower the value of a coin. I imagine the impact on price can range from insignificance to considerable depending on severity and locations and also on the quality and rarity of the rest of the piece. 

As Rob say, it's about aesthetics. For the coin in question, there is no doubt that it would had sold more "more" money in LCA if there were no adjustment lines. The reverse lines are right in the centre and damaged the garter star. But the coin still has very good eye appeal overall and so would be welcome in quality collections. 

This is from the Heritage: " As a rule, adjustment marks do not reduce the value of a coin nearly as much as a series of equally visible scratches, which were not "mint-applied".

It's horses for courses. If it appears on a common type coin, then it will do no harm to wait if you prefer one without adjustment marks. If the coin is difficult to obtain in high grade, then marks are likely to be increasingly acceptable. Once you reduce the grade to VF or so, then frankly it doesn't matter unless the coin is really difficult as an EF of most types should be available with patience.

I don't mind a few adjustment marks, but I draw the line at obliteration of part or all of the date.