British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

ozjohn

MS 63 ?

Could be my eyes, but I still on looking several times very little sign of wear  but with plenty - or lack thereof - soft strike (a common malady in the larger E7 florins and half crowns). There is a huge fingerprint overlaying most of the obverse. Actually there are very few bag marks. 

In support of this, look first at the reverse and you say not only a decent strike, but critical areas such as the three angles of the shield are very nice indeed and the surmounting crown also relatively nice but for the bottom portion at shield which is softly struck as is normal. The edges are quite decent as well, what look like ticks on this and other Eddie half crowns and florins are in fact most likely bag damage to the planchet after upsetting the edge which occurs before striking - many mistake this for post strike handling damage. The rim from 5 to 8 o'clock on the obverse is nearly pristine, even accounting for the pre-strike rim damage (we call the pre-strike planchet preparation "upsetting" on this side of the Atlantic).

I would imagine that even the relatively obverse will look better in hand. What I am saying is that I see how they might get a legitimate "63" on this coin, and that it is downgraded already as a result of the soft strike. I still would not like the coin.

Interesting that this is a 1908 dated coin - I have had trouble locating a decent 1908 florin and even shilling, and especially for reasons given above for soft obverse strike and have several examples that I am always somewhat dissatisfied by as a result. I think the obverse dies were used excessively by this time and that the dated side fared somewhat better and required at least the yearly change.

23 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Paddy's above is uncirculated. Ozjohn's is about GEF.

But with the coin in question, I can't see any hair detail at all. Also there's some flattening of the lions - especially the rampant lion's mane. No evidence of even residual lustre.

Sorry, but it's not even VF for me. Maybe it might look different out of the slab, but on current evidence...... 

The only pictures I can see are the ones posted by Michael-Roo - is that the coin you're talking about? It's graded MS-63 so I assume so.

Yes, that's the OP coin Chris. Graded MS63. 

Other news: I sent you an email yesterday. Bargain of the week?

Just now, Michael-Roo said:

Yes, that's the OP coin Chris. Graded MS63. 

Other news: I sent you an email yesterday. Bargain of the week?

Is that the same coin Mike is saying is only GF? Don't see that myself.

I am days behind with emails! As Xmas looms the backlog will just get worse! (200 mails, anyone? Bit of a disincentive).

The images I posted here are the Eddie 2/6 which is being discussed in this topic.

The email I refer to was sent our usual mates chat and has nothing to do with this Pre D stuff.

Check in, I'm up for a while yet.

9 hours ago, ozjohn said:

Depends upon if you adopt a top down or bottom up approach. To quote  NGC MS.  Weak or average strike with no trace of wear. Numerous abrasion, hairlines and/or large marks. IMO this coin fails on the wear criteria. In general not many  UNC coins achieve a greater than MS 64 grading with most lower. IMO the inconsistency in grading applies to all TPGs. 

Should read NGC MS 60.

I looked at the coin on the NGC site which did not seem to add anything useful as the photos were too small. It has to be said both CGS and PCGS's photo documentation is far superior to NGC's

Edited by ozjohn

11 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

The only pictures I can see are the ones posted by Michael-Roo - is that the coin you're talking about? It's graded MS-63 so I assume so.

That's the one, Chris.

On 12/18/2019 at 8:43 AM, Diaconis said:

Waring wearing a hat

E4CACA59-064E-4084-BF80-39E94E6C100E.jpeg.1c53af77f9e8386af0cb8476e8ebdc89.jpeg

Somebody will take an early bath..... 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

That's the one, Chris.

Then I'm  totally baffld by your GF assessment Mike!