British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

11 hours ago, oldcopper said:

I laugh when I see anyone whinge about the "demonization" or smearing of Corbyn. There is no need to embellish the truth about the man. and he hasn't sued anyone yet as far as I'm aware. The Guardian, Independent and Mirror seem to run Google news and they treat him like a saint compared to Boris. So online news and twitter are I think an important principal reason that more young people voted Labour - the wall-to-wall propaganda that they are fed through their mobile phones/computers, as well as from academia (of whom ~80% vote Labour apparently). Also, don't forget Labour rely on the ethnic vote in London to a large extent- I wouldn't think that has much to do with leave/remain.

If that's intended to be as shocking as it was to read, I'm speechless. However, you may have intended something else?

• Thanks 1

Absolutely Chris.

I came here six or seven years ago thinking I'd found my tribe.

It's now all rather depressing. Where are those regulars who made this such a  fun place to swap ideas and comments? 

My tribe? Nah.

• Like 1

The demonisation of Corbyn is, and was, real. If anyone wishes to be bombarded with rebuttals of the mass media distortions, please PM me. This forum is no place for that kind of activity. Having said which, I can't help posting one thing.

elections.jpg

• Like 2

This forum reflects society, and has become politically polarised by the events of the last three years just as society in general. The degree of offence taken regarding a particular statement reflects the readers views and sensitivities, which may not be the same as those who give the opinion.  We have to be tolerant of opposing views; we/I find it easy to be riled by what others post, but that is our/my problem not theirs,  we are free to think what we want, and should stop using our own views as an excuse to be nasty to each other. We will never all agree.

I have friends who want to ‘save the planet’ , and feel the only way to do so is by green technology and stopping war and famine. I also want to ‘save the planet’  but suspect that a 95% reduction in the human population is the only realistic way to achieve this. Clearly I would prefer nature in some way to arrange this,  and the elimination of Donald Trump would be a good start. Eventually I reckon the planet will be just fine, but not the human race and many other species, yet another great extinction  to be followed by further evolution , whatever direction that takes. I think it is ridiculous to think that the human race somehow deserves perpetuity, yet of course I love my kids and grandkids.

My late father was pretty pragmatic regarding the pointless, unpleasant, self-cantered creatures humans are. But he loved nature and devoted his life to its conservation. You can read his obituary here  https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/dec/04/peter-davis-obituary and he will shortly feature in radio 4’s ‘Last words’ obit programme and in British Birds.

Forgive me for being a bit maudlin , I had a couple of pints tonight.

Jerry

Edited by jelida
  • Thanks 3

My sympathies, Jerry. As a former Hertfordshire resident I was in almost daily awe of the red kites above me. I also had the pleasure of meeting your father once.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

If that's intended to be as shocking as it was to read, I'm speechless. However, you may have intended something else?

Well, finish your mouthful of cornflakes before you splutter, those well-known far-right conspiracy theorists the BBC agree with me:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45765496

Though I think their reasons given are not the main answer. People who have less assets and are generally poorer, which is to a larger extent immigrants as compared to long-term residents, will vote for a big-state party ie a left-wing party. I think that's quite obvious and I would probably do in a similar situation. Unless this radically changes, which I don't expect it will in the foreseeable future, the problem is that accumulated immigration of an ethnic Bloc vote will eventually produce a tipping point at which we may have a labour government in perpetuity. Now I'm sure you want this, but I don't.

The relentless left-wing indoctrination in our education system (eg only 7% of primary school teachers and 8% of secondary school teachers vote Tory - source TES 2017) is something that schoolchildren and students cannot escape. Whereas you can choose which  paper to buy - as I said there is a whole raft of left-wing Remain papers (The Guardian, the Mirror, the European, the Independent (online) and these are very much over-represented in online news via search engines. And the BBC is also a liberal elite Remain institution. So to suggest that Newscorp was responsible for the election result is to ignore the massive other side of the propaganda war - which is much further reaching for the reasons given above.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Michael-Roo said:

Absolutely Chris.

It's now all rather depressing. Where are those regulars who made this such a  fun place to swap ideas and comments? 

My tribe? Nah.

Michael, I don't quite understand your angle here, but we're not on this Forum for our political uniformity, we're on here mainly to discuss coins. That's why this is a separate thread from the rest. But if you wish to share your views on politics or whatever, go for it.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, jelida said:

This forum reflects society, and has become politically polarised by the events of the last three years just as society in general. The degree of offence taken regarding a particular statement reflects the readers views and sensitivities, which may not be the same as those who give the opinion.  We have to be tolerant of opposing views; we/I find it easy to be riled by what others post, but that is our/my problem not theirs,  we are free to think what we want, and should stop using our own views as an excuse to be nasty to each other. We will never all agree.

I have friends who want to ‘save the planet’ , and feel the only way to do so is by green technology and stopping war and famine. I also want to ‘save the planet’  but suspect that a 95% reduction in the human population is the only realistic way to achieve this. Clearly I would prefer nature in some way to arrange this,  and the elimination of Donald Trump would be a good start. Eventually I reckon the planet will be just fine, but not the human race and many other species, yet another great extinction  to be followed by further evolution , whatever direction that takes. I think it is ridiculous to think that the human race somehow deserves perpetuity, yet of course I love my kids and grandkids.

My late father was pretty pragmatic regarding the pointless, unpleasant, self-cantered creatures humans are. But he loved nature and devoted his life to its conservation. You can read his obituary here  https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/dec/04/peter-davis-obituary and he will shortly feature in radio 4’s ‘Last words’ obit programme and in British Birds.

Forgive me for being a bit maudlin , I had a couple of pints tonight.

Jerry

Really interesting article about your Dad, Jerry, and I will try and catch that programme when broadcast. Wildlife and animal welfare are also of great concern to me as well. 

17 hours ago, Michael-Roo said:

Absolutely Chris.

My tribe? Nah.

Bit of a put down for those of us who contribute a lot, day in and day out, to this forum, Michael.

Sorry you feel that way. 

6 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Bit of a put down for those of us who contribute a lot, day in and day out, to this forum, Michael.

Sorry you feel that way. 

The only thing I don't like about you is your politics, Mike. Which is why I'd agree we ought to avoid such matters here.

39 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

The only thing I don't like about you is your politics, Mike. Which is why I'd agree we ought to avoid such matters here.

Then we must agree to disagree, Chris. Trouble is these political threads are started, and people inevitably post their opinions on them, which they are free to do. We all think differently. 

Maybe we should make a joint agreement between the two of us to avoid them in future - what say you?   

I mean, I can't say I'd be especially bothered about avoiding politics on here. 

• Like 1

On 12/19/2019 at 1:01 AM, jelida said:

I think it is ridiculous to think that the human race somehow deserves perpetuity,

The human race is unbelievably arrogant, granting ourselves "human rights" that even overrule the basic rules of society sometimes and deciding that other "lesser" species on the evolutionary scale are worthy of preservation for the purposes of entertainment or sustenance.

• Like 3

7.8 billion Jose Mourinhos!

Perish the thought.

• Haha 3

Personally I and the planet are eagerly awaiting the next ELE space rock. Perhaps that migh make any survivors reconsider how important this rock in space actually is.

It'd probably screw the coin market though, but it would also shake up the governments all across the globe :)

• Like 1

Yes - unfortunately the only real answer to global warming, destruction of habitats and extinction of non-human species is to reduce the human population to less than a tenth of it's current figure.

I can't see that winning many voters at an election though...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

It'd probably screw the coin market though

Imagine that, the end of TPGC’s and their meaningless population reports....every cloud (or rock)😉

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Then we must agree to disagree, Chris. Trouble is these political threads are started, and people inevitably post their opinions on them, which they are free to do. We all think differently. 

Maybe we should make a joint agreement between the two of us to avoid them in future - what say you?   

I mean, I can't say I'd be especially bothered about avoiding politics on here. 

I'd be happy to go with that! I mean, I've avoided the Brexit topic for months on end.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

I'd be happy to go with that! I mean, I've avoided the Brexit topic for months on end.

Deal !

• Like 1

I can't see why opposing thoughts should be so problematic, yet it seems it was ever the case. Thrust and riposte are fundamental to not living in a reciprocating, back-slapping, echo-chamber. The whole point of not agreeing with everyone else is that alternative views can be espoused, taken on board and argued for or against. That's why open debate is so important. Anyone who frequented student unions in the 1970s will be fully aware of the way any dissenting ideas were shouted down by the left. I suspect nothing has changed given the tendency for youth to be left of centre.

• Like 4

On 12/16/2019 at 9:48 AM, 1949threepence said:

Agreed, I'll have to wait until I'm 68, so I don't see why they should get any further concessions. Besides which, it would have a knock on effect to the age group just below the waspi women, who would then say they were being unfairly treated. 

Change your gender. I cant see the state pensions people objecting now that the lady who said that there were only two biological types of human was found guilty.

• Like 3

On 12/20/2019 at 12:07 PM, Paddy said:

Yes - unfortunately the only real answer to global warming, destruction of habitats and extinction of non-human species is to reduce the human population to less than a tenth of it's current figure.

That was on Mother Nature's 'to do' list. And in hand, as you wrote that post.

She's having a bloody good go at it. That'll teach us.  Not.

• Like 2

Given CO2 levels only really started taking off since WW1 and the world population in 1928 was 2 billion, it would not be unreasonable to set a target at 25% of the current global population, and probably lower, just to stabilise global warming. Nobody is willing to talk about that though. Unfortunately coronavirus is not sufficient. If you want to specifically reduce the human population whilst maintaining and supporting other life forms, you are pretty much restricted to the tried and tested policies of war and genocide, however unpalatable that might be.

• Like 1

I have said all along - I suspect this Coronavirus business is only a dress rehearsal for the real sorting out. I just hope I am not around for that one!

It's being so cheerful as keeps me going! 😁

We're a plague, nothing less.

If I had a big red button that would wipe humanity from the face of the planet, I'd probably press it. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 5/4/2020 at 11:02 AM, mrbadexample said:

We're a plague, nothing less.

If I had a big red button that would wipe humanity from the face of the planet, I'd probably press it. 

Blimey O'Reilly :wacko:

• Like 1