British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

3 hours ago, Varietalis said:

SOLD FOR £50,000.

A record for a threepence surely.  

No surprise at all.

That's £62k then. Excellent news. 

Did you buy it @VickySilver?

Even so, there was a day that this coin would have been affordable to the collector of reasonable means. But 50k even if short of what it might have brought or likely will bring if resold post economic recovery is still quite a lot of money. At least this one has claims as opposed to those infernal proof Vicky 5 sovs. which IMO are poseurs as far as collector coins.

Nope, sure wish I could have managed! I wonder if we'll find out where it went.

On 3/26/2020 at 12:11 PM, VickySilver said:

Nope, sure wish I could have managed! I wonder if we'll find out where it went.

Moreoever, I wonder if we'll ever find out where the specimen sold in 1970 went.  Irrespective of your opinion on coin grading services, a slab would at least make a tiny coin like this more conspicuous and easier to research for someone who might eventually inherit it.

On 3/28/2020 at 12:27 PM, Varietalis said:

Moreoever, I wonder if we'll ever find out where the specimen sold in 1970 went.  Irrespective of your opinion on coin grading services, a slab would at least make a tiny coin like this more conspicuous and easier to research for someone who might eventually inherit it.

And far easier to find, if it gets dropped.😁

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Zo Arms said:

And far easier to find, if it gets dropped.😁

B of St J were too coy to show it's real size in the catalogue. So I hope the buyer didn't get a shock when they found out it wasn't florin sized!

You would have to be a complete fool to not know the size of a coin that you were buying for £50000+ , but it might have happened at some time, who knows?

• Like 1