British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Conor44

Thoughts on this 1746 half crown

Hi everyone, just want a few opinions on the grade of this half crown which I am considering purchasing. Listed as EF but since ive bought overgraded coins in the past I thought i'd ask for a few 'two cents' first.

Or should that be 'two half crowns'?

....bad I know.

https://www.bryantcoins.com/styled/styled-247/index.html

PS Please don't steal it on me lol

Edited by Conor44

It's difficult to tell, especially for the reverse without bigger photos (for me anyway). It can very well be EF but I think it would be prudent to ask for bigger photos if you are thinking of buying.

Edited by Sword

Stupid size limits wont seem to allow me to post a decent pic. What the hell, have just uploaded the link. Many probably know the dealer anyway by his photos.

Edited by Conor44

EF doesn't look unreasonable to me. Perhaps just a little less than EF. That mark across the lion's nose is a little distracting also. 

You will get expert opinions soon. My grading of early milled is naive. 

Edited by Sword

Too small for me too. Mine attached if it helps for comparison.

c1726-1746 LIMA halfcrown.jpg

What grade would you give yours Rob? Nice even tone!

I think it is pretty much uncirculated, but slightly weakly struck on the obverse. My reasoning being that the apparent flattening of the nose on the shoulder and to two hair curls is not backed up by the evidence seen on the legend. In the case of the latter, each character has slightly raised edges to the letter and I would expect that to show wear if the hair was as flat as it is. I spent quite a while to come to a conclusion I could rationalise.

That's mine by the way, not the OP coin.

Yours is certainly around the EF mark. Possibly just shy of full EF given the wear seen on the laurels and over the hair generally, but worth looking at in hand. There's a bit of obvious wear to the Garter star rays too

Edited by Rob
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Rob said:

Too small for me too. Mine attached if it helps for comparison.

c1726-1746 LIMA halfcrown.jpg

Lovely coin Rob. What is your opinion on 'mine' , have uploaded bigger pictures.

I'd go AEF (as a cautious minimum).