British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Matteo95

mintage of Tanzania proof set 1966

hi all,

This morning I was checking the mintage of some proof sets produced by the RM during the last century and I noted that for the 1966 Tanzanian proof set the mintage  reported on Krause and all the other references is 5500 pieces of each coin in the set, however reading the Royal Mint annual report for this year it seems that the mintage is of only 500.

So, I would like to ask you if you know if those coins have been minted also in the following years with the same date or anything else... Looking on eBay I found several items which make me quite dubious about the number reported by the mint.

5,500 sounds more believable (coin collecting was very popular at that time so 500 wouldn't have been enough) - what year annual report are you looking at? 

Yes I am with your opinion, even if I would like to know the source of 5500. 

It's he Royal Mint : ninety-seventh Annual Report of the Deputy Master and Controller for the year 1966. London, Her Majesty's Stationery Office, 1967. 

those reports were published every year , this is one for ex. http://www.galata.co.uk/store.asp?storeAction=showDetail&stockID=11274

• Like 1

Possibly a report for a previous or following year has the other 5,000?