British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
ozjohn

May be of interest to a beginer starting an Edward collection

https://www.colonialcollectables.com/halfcrowns/6772-edward-silver-coins-1902.html

A set of high grade 1902 Edward coins for sale at a what I think is a reasonable price which maybe of interest

to a new collector starting an Edward VII collection.. I have no financial or other interest in Colonial Collectables

but being a NZ operation they may not known in the UK.

seems very expensive

Note they are all encapsulated and graded. I checked with  the Value of British coins site which gave a price of close to GBP 400.. If you can assemble these coins with similar grades for sale at that price I look forward to seeing your listing.

Edited by ozjohn

I think at £450 the price isn't extortionate given the nice matched toning. PCGS are quite strict with Edward VII florins for some reason so an AU58 is not necessarily only an EF coin, probably more a British AU if the problem is just bagmarks. I wouldn't buy this set though because the sixpence and threepence are spotty. 

If this came up at auction in the UK it would probably go for £250 - 300 + premium, optimistically. The 1902 coins are very common in mint state because of high mintages + first year of the reign so they were all put away. And you can get true BU examples of all of these coins without too much difficulty, except perhaps for the florin which becomes a bit tricky in top grades.

Just a quick look on ebay.co for 1902 UNC half crowns shows a price of GBP 200 + -  with GBP 200 fo the rest of the coins GBP 400 fot the lot does not seem unreasonable. Retail coin dealer's prices are usually higher than those realized at auction. 

Coins are lovely - price is not , its high but not unreasonable

I noticed the set mentioned sold for GBP 417.