British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

I have noticed something unusual in my 1884 Half Crown as indicated in the pic attached. Note -- within the ear of the Queen there are some markings (very similar to the strings in the harp)

Anyone else have one of these?http://IMG_1260_zpsyn1q8wio.jpg

I don't have an 1884 but my 1881 has something similar by the eye, the ear is fine - thought it was probably just bag marks

Ear

1881_hc_01_ref_01838_dnw_june_2019_lot_7

Eye

1881_hc_01_ref_01838_dnw_june_2019_lot_7

• Like 1

Just re checked the eye of my 1884 - dont have anything around the eye.  The markings in the ear are  not bag marks -very straight and clear

Bagmarks caused by the reeding on the edge of another coin?

• Like 1

My 1883 has both the ear and eye marks.

Half Crown 1883 O (2).jpg

• Like 1

Yes, and those marks appear to be in relief and so die changes regardless of the specific cause (but clashing IMO).

• Thanks 1