British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
azda

Its easy being a dealer

2 hours ago, Colin88 said:

.. and here we are again .... all collectors are poor innocent lambs going to the slaughter and all dealers a nasty horrible people ... yawn 

All generalizations are false, including this one.

4 hours ago, Colin88 said:

.. and here we are again .... all collectors are poor innocent lambs going to the slaughter and all dealers a nasty horrible people ... yawn 

I make my own judgement on any given coin, and all I would expect is a decent representative photo of it, or 7 days approval, combined with basic honesty. I get very pissed off if I'm deliberately lied to.   

I'm not bothered what grade the vendor assigns, as long as not absurdly out, or what price is asked. I will decide whether or not I want the coin, and if I do, then I will pay the asking price whatever that may be.

The market finds its own level. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

I make my own judgement on any given coin, and all I would expect is a decent representative photo of it, or 7 days approval, combined with basic honesty. I get very pissed off if I'm deliberately lied to.   

I'm not bothered what grade the vendor assigns, as long as not absurdly out, or what price is asked. I will decide whether or not I want the coin, and if I do, then I will pay the asking price whatever that may be.

The market finds its own level. 

Indeed. But in addition to decent photos, dealers should offer at least 14 days upon delivery for cancellation which I think is the law regarding distance selling.

I agree that it is very annoying if defects such as hairlines, verd, past cleaning, artificial toning, etc are not mentioned. Being able to return a coin is not really an excuse not to mention such things.

I do get the impression that some sellers are very accurate with grading lower values coins but are more generous when grading high value pieces. It's up to them but I would rather people don't do things like that. Different dealers have different reputations.

There is nothing wrong in my view with sellers aiming to make say 100% profit compared to what they paid in auctions. If a dealer is on the lookout of real bargains on auctions and sell at high profit margins, then that is their choice. Sellers aiming to make about 30% profit margin would find it much easier to buy stock and will have much faster turnaround times. Just different business models and one buys from sellers sharing his philosophy. 

• Like 2

On 11/16/2019 at 10:36 AM, azda said:

Which again brings me back to my point, overgrading for more money. Yes of course no one has to buy, but its the consistency of dealers to overgrade which in turn could burn newbies. Lets be clear, I'm not against dealers making money (and to be honest, dealers shouldn't have a monopoly or think they have a monopoly of making a profit), I'm talking about integrity that's slowly being killed off for profits

sounds like the ingrams in disguise lol