British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
JLS

Unlisted unofficial farthing type in lead

Not listed in D&H, Withers etc. In lead - of Scottish origin, likely from the NW. 

Obverse: JENNAT FRUIT SHOP in two curved lines

Reverse: TEA DEALER 

unoffunknown.JPG

unoffunknown2.JPG

• Like 1

Was it a detector find? , I have found a few bag seals that look similar to this. Is there any sign of it being in two pieces or once having a hole in the edge that a piece of string once threaded through. The hole is always difficult to see as the seal would have been squashed over the thread. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gaz T said:

Was it a detector find? , I have found a few bag seals that look similar to this. Is there any sign of it being in two pieces or once having a hole in the edge that a piece of string once threaded through. The hole is always difficult to see as the seal would have been squashed over the thread. 

Not a detector find as far as I know. No tell-tale marks on the edge either, although I imagine the manufacture was similar to that of a cloth seal - squeezed rather than struck ! 

Would be interested to see photos of your bag seals if you've taken any; I have a few 18th century English ones but nothing with this style of lettering which is fairly distinctive for Scottish tokens of the late 18th century/early 19th century. 

Had a search in the loft as all my old detector finds were all boxed up.

Found a few of the seals and a few older medieval lead tokens but I have many more up there somewhere.

IMG_2240 (2).JPG

IMG_E2205.JPG

IMG_E2206.JPG

IMG_E2208.JPG

IMG_E2209.JPG

IMG_E2210.JPG

IMG_E2213.JPG

1 hour ago, Gaz T said:

IMG_E2215.JPG

IMG_E2217.JPG

IMG_E2218.JPG

IMG_E2219.JPG

IMG_E2220.JPG

IMG_E2221.JPG

IMG_E2222.JPG

The third one down is an unfeasible operation. Webb and Son? You could live off Indian cuisine for weeks and not come close to producing commercial quantities. :blink:

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1