British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Unwilling Numismatist

Royal Mint Experiance / SYO

I went along again to the Royal Mint today.

They have started limiting tours to one per person per day.

The number of Strike your own coins you can now have is 1 per person per tour.

Posting this info for members as it isn't clear from the RM site, and I had a somewhat more costly day out than expected....

I've toyed with making the trip a number of times - was it worth it ? Did you visit the museum ? And is the "strike your own coin" a unique pressing or just another 2019 coin in a special folder ?

Richard - I put a thread on the forum when i went there nearly three years ago now - how time flies!

Sadly, the photos don't show properly now because of Photobucket but hopefully you'll get an idea of what sort of stuff is there.  Some true rarities...

The strike your own coin is whatever they offer at the time - you have no choice.  When I was there in Feb 2017 it was the yet-to-be released new £1 coin, but sometimes it can be a coin not intended for circulation.  The coin is struck twice, so it's a better strike than a normal circulating coin.

I know a couple of penny collectors who went on the bronze VIP tour that they both enjoyed 👍

6 hours ago, secret santa said:

I've toyed with making the trip a number of times - was it worth it ? Did you visit the museum ? And is the "strike your own coin" a unique pressing or just another 2019 coin in a special folder ?

Richard, you might also be interested in this post which I made on 24.10.18.  

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

https://www.royalmint.com/the-royal-mint-experience/vip/

These are the other tours that may be more suitable for people with a pre-decimal interest.

Yes, there was a programme with Michael Portillo on the gold tour. 

2 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Richard, you might also be interested in this post which I made on 24.10.18.

Thanks Mike.

It's a good aned enjoyable trip for sure, but choose wisely if you're flexible.

Currently its a Wallace and Grommet 50p, but that will change in December.

Many times the coin youu can mint will be something which is or has been produced, but very rarely you get something which doesn't exist elsewhere. The Isaac Newton 2018 50p is a prime example of that, a mule specifically for Strike Your Own.