British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Bryan

To see or not to see...

Can anyone advise on a good loupe and the recommended magnification?

Bryan,

I can recommend the Belomo loupes, bit pricey but value for money.

https://belomostore.com

10x and 15x. Made in Belarus, excellent quality, small, quite heavy and sturdy. Triplet and quadruplet lenses. They also offer a set of 5 (8x 10x 12x 15x 20x).

They're on Fleabay of course too at about £25 each

Paul

I use one of these and find it fantastic. Bit pricey though.😲   https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eschenbach-Mobilux-Magnification-Magnifier-15117-Black-Handle/dp/B005EQ8ZTI

Thanks for your recommendation Pete,

I’d be using it mainly for trying to educate myself a bit on a coins features and to practise a bit of basic grading?

Thanks Paul,

Out of curiosity, what’s the difference between triplet or quadruple lenses?
Is it just purely for different magnification options in one piece?

2 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Thanks Paul,

Out of curiosity, what’s the difference between triplet or quadruple lenses?
Is it just purely for different magnification options in one piece?

The difference between 3 or 4 lenses is purely less or more magnification factors.

Thanks UPINSMOKE,

That’s very helpful, there’s certainly a good few on the market to choose from. 
Guess it’s just a matter of finding which one suits you best!

1 hour ago, Peckris 2 said:

The difference between 3 or 4 lenses is purely less or more magnification factors.

Thanks Peckris 2,

be a good advantage to have both lens in one too, I’m sure!

I’ve got a 10x loupe which I used to use for looking at insects a few years back. 
I tried it on a coin and it wasn’t too bad, but I found I had to keep moving it backwards and forwards a lot, to keep it focused.

It also seemed out of focus on the edges.

12 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Thanks Peckris 2,

be a good advantage to have both lens in one too, I’m sure!

I’ve got a 10x loupe which I used to use for looking at insects a few years back. 
I tried it on a coin and it wasn’t too bad, but I found I had to keep moving it backwards and forwards a lot, to keep it focused.

It also seemed out of focus on the edges.

Despite sounding like a family of 'ground and lofty' tumblers, achromatic triplets are intended to reduce aberration, that out of focus at various points. Triplet means that it has three achromatic, colour correction, antireflection lenses. I think they are cemented but I'm not sure. 

They show no distortion at all.

Thanks For the info Paul,

It’s good to know these things. I’ll have a good scout around at all the different types.

Much appreciated.

On 28 October 2019 at 7:59 PM, Diaconis said:

Despite sounding like a family of 'ground and lofty' tumblers, achromatic triplets are intended to reduce aberration, that out of focus at various points. Triplet means that it has three achromatic, colour correction, antireflection lenses. I think they are cemented but I'm not sure. 

They show no distortion at all.

I assumed what was meant was a magnifier with two or three fold out lenses that can be used singly or in combination?