British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Gaz T

I.D info please.

A detecting find from a couple of years a go,

9mm across

silver.

I have no idea what this could be.

IMG_E2155.JPG

IMG_E2154.JPG

11 minutes ago, Rob said:

Indian?

I was thinking the same Rob, but what a strange coin to find in the middle of a field.

4 minutes ago, Gaz T said:

I was thinking the same Rob, but what a strange coin to find in the middle of a field.

The world has always been a global economy. Silver coins were always worth their intrinsic value and traded at weight/face value, until the last couple hundred years when we moved to a token coinage.

Think I remember seeing something similar showing up in a viking hoard a few years ago.

If my brain kicks back in and I remember where, I'll bung a link in.

Definitely looks Asian to me - the first side appears to be Arabic writing, the reverse possibly Persian script.

I would suggest posting on zeno.ru - I have found them far and away the best at Id'ing Asian coins. If you have not subscribed and find it too much hassle, I can do for you using the pictures above. Only other piece of info they would want is the weight.

10 hours ago, Paddy said:

Definitely looks Asian to me - the first side appears to be Arabic writing, the reverse possibly Persian script.

I would suggest posting on zeno.ru - I have found them far and away the best at Id'ing Asian coins. If you have not subscribed and find it too much hassle, I can do for you using the pictures above. Only other piece of info they would want is the weight.

Paddy if you don't mind that would be much appreciated.

The weight of the coin is 0.27g

3 minutes ago, Gaz T said:

Gosh, that's very light!

Could be islamic?

3 hours ago, Gaz T said:

Are you sure you don't mean 2.7g? I don't think I have ever met any coin that light, let alone one at 9mm diameter?

I will get onto it tomorrow.

34 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Are you sure you don't mean 2.7g? I don't think I have ever met any coin that light, let alone one at 9mm diameter?

Thanks Paddy.

Just put it on the scales again to make sure.

IMG_E2158.JPG

29 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Loads of them about. Any later silver halfpenny from Elizabeth I will do, as would just about any farthing from Edward III onwards.

OK - my mistake - I will get onto it tomorrow.

P

OK - it is now on Zeno - I will keep you posted.

Here is link: https://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=233756

Response already: "Ottoman akce of Mehmed III, Constantinople mint". There will probably be more.

Edited by Paddy
Added response

Thanks Paddy that's great.

The little coin was a long way from home, makes me wonder how many hands it had passed through to get where it was found.

Interesting article here about Mehmed

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mehmed_III

Of specific interest is the relationship with England and the brief exchange of goods. Could be that this coin made it back with one of the sailors or merchants at the time. 

Great find.

17 minutes ago, Diaconis said:

Interesting article here about Mehmed

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mehmed_III

Of specific interest is the relationship with England and the brief exchange of goods. Could be that this coin made it back with one of the sailors or merchants at the time. 

Great find.

What many people don't realise is that native British - mistakenly referred to as Celts - traded all around the Mediterranean, I believe as far as Turkey? Maybe even beyond. This didn't stop with the withdrawal of the Romans, and Tintagel may have been one of those defended strongpoints that also acted as a trading port.

• Like 1