British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Bryan

Size does matter!

I’m looking to get some lighthouse capsules for my collection.

At the moment I’m using some no name brands that I bought off eBay. They’re ok, but they have a “crescent” groove which is supposed to aid opening but they’re a real pig!

I have one coin in a lighthouse capsule (the one with raised rim edges), which is far easier to open. I like round capsules because you can still read the rim inscriptions without having to take the coin out, whereas with Quadrum you can’t?

Could anyone let me know what size (without any rattle), best suits £2 and the main pre-dec coins?

As always, any advice is appreciated!

Exact diameters of some common UK coins are:

LSD: Farthing 20mm, Halfpenny 26mm, Penny 30.81mm, Silver threepence 16mm, Brass threepence 21mm, Sixpence 19mm, Shillings 23.1mm, Florin 28.5mm, Half Crown 32mm, Crown 38.6mm.

Decimal: Halfpenny 17mm, Penny 20.32mm, Twopence 25.91mm, Old Five Pence 23.5mm (pre 1990), New Five Pence 18mm, Old Ten Pence 28.5mm (pre 1992), New Ten Pence 24.5mm, Twenty Pence 21.4mm, Old Fifty Pence (pre 1997) 30mm, New Fifty Pence 27.3mm, One Pound 22.5mm, Two Pound 28.4mm, Crown 38.6mm.

23mm are good for the 12 sided £1 coin

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=110339646462&category=549&pm=1&ds=0&t=1559547793000&ver=0

With capsules you need to go up to the nearest mm. Hence two pound 28.4mm will need a 29mm capsule. Unfortunately, there will be a bit of rattle. If you are using a quadrum, then you can use a 28mm size as the foam can expands a bit with no problem. Hence no rattle and eliminates the risk of friction between the coin and plastic. I personally use quadrums even though you can't see the edges of the coins.

• Thanks 1

Sword, thanks for the detailed info, that’s really helpful.

My plan had been to buy stackable trays, with circular indents that the entire coin capsule could fit into, as my collection grew. 
However, looking at the storage options for quads, it looks like they would take up far less space than multiple trays would, considering the limited amount of “circular holes” you could fit on a tray.  The quads obviously can be stored far more compactly, as they all appear to be of a standard size, with just the foam inner varying in sizes to suit? Are the quads easy to open to remove coins?

I notice that quads seem to be the storage method of choice for a lot of members, which speaks volumes!

14 minutes ago, Bryan said:

The quads obviously can be stored far more compactly, as they all appear to be of a standard size, with just the foam inner varying in sizes to suit? Are the quads easy to open to remove coins?

Yes to both questions. I really like them myself.

I'm a convert to Quadrums too, can't recommend them enough!

There is an aluminium case which comes with trays for quadrums, so you can actually store the coins securely and with many denominations in one medium.

Using the size below to elimiate rattle is a must for me, I can't stand things that rattle, once you try them, you'll be hooked!

Thanks Unwilling Numismatist, I think it’s the way forward for me and I’m going to go with quads.
Appreciate the advice.

Thank you for the links UPINSMOKE, they will be of great help and they’re exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.

much appreciated.

• Like 1