British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Bryan

London Coin Fair Nov 2019

I thought i'd drop in at the London Coin Fair in November. I've never been to one before and I think it will be a great opportunity for me to be able to see a load of coins and get ideas on prices and maybe glean some knowledge from a dealer or two.

As it's my first fair, I'm definitely going to be treating myself to something ... Any general advice on what to avoid, common newbie blunders etc? I know that it would depend largely on what my budget is, but just wondered if there was anything I should know or be aware of, as I have no idea what to expect!

Best tip arrive early , they can get very crowded

You’ll have a great time,  take plenty of cash, as that is what most dealers will expect,  and always haggle, at least 10% reduction on marked price is factored in by many.  Set yourself some general targets in advance, don’t rush and don’t buy the first thing you see unless it really ticks all the boxes,  you might find better on the next table! Dealers will often put things aside for a short time if you are seriously interested, but don’t take the p*ss. Do chat and ask questions, most though not all dealers are very happy to cultivate the interest of a newbie. Take a good loupe, and a reference book. You will find remarkably variable pricing structures.

Jerry

Thanks Copper123, will do! I guess there’s also more chance of finding what you want if you go earlier.

early bird catches the worm and all that!

Thanks for the advice Jerry, that’s very helpful and answered a lot of the things I was wondering about. 
Cheers!

Had a great time at the coin fair and it was a lot bigger than I thought it would be. 
As I’m just a beginner, there were lots of bargains, as any coin was new to me. 
I picked up a range of Florins, Crowns and half Crowns as well as a few commemorative ones too.

Really glad I went and I’ve got a good batch if coins to research now.

i think I’ll be going to the Bloomsbury coin fest in December as well.

Thanks for everyone’s advice, much appreciated.

• Like 7

Remember well being a newish collector and how totally exciting it can be.

Glad you had a good time !!

Look forward to more posts, stories, and pics of coins.

cheers - Garrett.

If you want a free entry ticket for bloomsbury drop me a line with you r adress and I will send it in the post saves £5

Edited by copper123

Many thanks copper123, PM sent. 😁