British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Bryan

Hi, I’m Bryan and a brand new member on the forum. I have recently taken an interest in numismatics and having started collecting some modern British coins, I have also decided to start a pre-decimal coin collection.

Actually, the word collection is not quite correct as it implies plural. I have ONE 1951 Festival of Britain Crown thus far... I did say I was brand new!

I am interested in all types of coin, especially British. I have little knowledge and I hope to gain as much learning as I can from the forum and am looking forward to chatting to you at some point along the way!

• Like 2

Greetings!

I haven't been here that long, but it's a big part of my time on the web.

Join in and read what people have said about your particular coins of fancy.

Some people on here know so much about the subject it's scary- don't let that put you off- no-one ever gets talked down to.

Some people here can afford amazing coins- don't let that put you off either. If you find something that you think is interesting,

chances are it will be appreciated.

Blake

Thanks for the welcome blakeyboy. I’m only just beginning to see how vast this hobby actually is and it looks like you could spend a lifetime collecting from just one era...

I’m looking forward to starting the journey.

To get started, you could usefully invest in two inexpensive books (banner ad above):

1. Collectors Coins (predecimal edition) which lists prices from the 18thC onwards but also has a wealth of useful information 

2. Grading British Coins which shows pictorial grades from AUnc to Fair for all major types from 1797.

otherwise, Welcome!

Thank you For the welcome Peckris 2 and PWA 1967.

I bought the pre-decimal collectors coins book last week as a starting point just to get some idea of what things cost and why, before I bought anything. Really good reference book and I’ve got a lot to learn in there!

I’ll have a look at the other one too soon enough. Thanks for the suggestions.

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Thanks for the welcome blakeyboy. I’m only just beginning to see how vast this hobby actually is and it looks like you could spend a lifetime collecting from just one era...

I’m looking forward to starting the journey.

Re: bit in bold - actually, depending on how in depth you go, that is pretty much spot on.

Welcome to the forum, enjoy the experience, and please don't be shy of asking any questions. 

Thank you 1949threepence, I’m looking forward to it. I think I’ll start by searching through old posts which will be a goldmine of information for me. 
I’ll wager that a lot of the questions I have will have been asked before, but I’ll be sure to ask if not. Thanks very much, it’s really appreciated.

Thanks Unwilling Numismatist, I’m sure there will be questions aplenty!

Much appreciated.

On 10/11/2019 at 10:43 PM, Peckris 2 said:

Grading British Coins which shows pictorial grades from AUnc to Fair for all major types from 1797.

Just ordered the above book, I think it will give me a lot of insight. Thanks Peckris 2

• Like 1

A 1951 crown is a nice choice as a first coin. Great reverse design (struck from left over victorian die(s) with date re-engraved if I remember correctly), large, proof-like and inexpensive for something nearly 70 years old. 

Thanks Sword, yes I thought it was a safe bet for an economical, first-time buy. I hadn’t realised that it had been struck from left-over Victorian die(s), which is very interesting. Admittedly, Pistrucci’s design was a big draw factor and an excellent bonus for a newbie too!

But isn’t that just of the allure of collecting? Not just a coin, but a storybook of information unraveling histories, Monarchies, economics, geography and political aspiration to name just a little of what they can represent. At least it is for me anyway!

Bryan

Take a look at London Coins website. Their auction archive contains good quality photos of the coins they've sold and you'll find examples of just about everything. It might lead you to being attracted to a particular denomination, monarch, or whatever. Good luck with your collecting.

Welcome to the forum Bryan. I have been here for a while now and everyone has been so helpful with any question I may have had. Enjoy your new hobby😀

Thanks for the tip secret santa. I’ll definitely have a look at that. Sounds like it will be good learning for me.

thanks for the welcome UPINSMOKE, I would agree with you on that. I’ve had many great bits of helpful advice so far from other users. Thanks very much everyone!