British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

1949threepence

Old Coin Monthly's still outstanding

22 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Yes, the monthly became  a fortnightly for a couple of years - these were all regular issues so there was no 'monthly' for that period.

Thanks Chris.

On 12/19/2020 at 6:08 PM, 1949threepence said:

So anyway, there I was scrolling casually through a search on e bay for copies of "Coin Monthly" that I don't yet have, when lo and behold, four complete years for the 1980's appear - 1981, 1983, 1985 & 1986. Placed orders for all four, and also 10 from January to October 1979. Although I've already got one or two random months for some of those years.  

It might be a question of gradually filling in gaps, as apart from the odd random issues, you really don't normally see many from the 1980's - and I've yet to see any at all from those last days in the early 90's. Saw another couple of randoms, this time from June 1987 and September 1989, I think it was. But that involved buying other back copies from 1983, which I've just ordered. Might have to start going down that road, however. 

It also looks as though they were also doing fortnightly (or even weekly) versions for a time in the late 70's and early 80's. Not sure if they were in addition to, or a replacement for the usual monthly editions.       

Received all of them today. There are two articles about pennies in 1981, which I've made a note of. But absolutely none in 1983, 1985 and 1986. In fact by 1985 the magazines were palpably thinner than in earlier years, and everything inside beginning to look very samey.   

I recently bought a lot of coin monthlies and amongst them is a august 81

Just contact me if its missing from a set and spoiling not having a full set

• Like 2

On 12/20/2020 at 10:06 PM, Peckris 2 said:

Yes, the monthly became  a fortnightly for a couple of years - these were all regular issues so there was no 'monthly' for that period.

In the October 1979 edition of Coin Monthly, there's a feature on the fact that they would be going to fortnightly beginning 5th October 1979 (so 5th to 18th & so on after that). I'm not sure of the exact date it ended, but it had to be before July 1980, as I've now seen a Coin Monthly for then. So it appears that it ran for less than a year.  

Might be a bit of a challenge tracking all the fortnightly's down - even for such a relatively short period.

In the meantime, I'm pleased to say I've managed to place two very low price orders, which give me February 1988, the entire period from June to December 1989 plus January & February  1990, and June 1991.    

Now that I've started down this road, my objective is to obtain the entire Coin Monthly (and fortnightly) series up to and including February 1992. Beginning to end. As there's likely to be some overlap and duplication, I'll flag up any spares and members are welcome to them free of charge if they're interested.  

• Like 1

First spares are December 1966 and January to June 1967 (excluding May). If anybody wants then or any one or more of them, let me know.  

On 12/26/2020 at 10:36 PM, 1949threepence said:

First spares are December 1966 and January to June 1967 (excluding May). If anybody wants then or any one or more of them, let me know.  

I'd quite like those.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

I'd quite like those.

No problem. If you PM me your address, Chris, I'll post them to you.

ETA: just realised it also includes October 1967.

Edited by 1949threepence

23 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

No problem. If you PM me your address, Chris, I'll post them to you.

ETA: just realised it also includes October 1967.

PM sent. :)

Well I've had a stroke of luck........a guy was selling most of the entire series from 1967 (didn't include Nov & Dec 1966, but I've already got them) through to February 1992. I didn't need most of it, so made him an offer for the ones I did want, which he accepted. Received today.

There were two missing, potentially three. July 1978, the fortnightly edition from 8th to 21st February 1980, and possibly one from 4th to 17th April 1980. This was advertised in the previous fortnightly edition as on sale from 4th April 1980. But then the next one appearing was a monthly edition for May 1980, so I'm assuming that was the one which appeared on 4th April 1980, replacing the advertised fortnightly edition. In that edition they said that the continuing issue of a fortnightly version was no longer viable due to of lack of demand. 

So I now need:-

July 1978

Fortnightly edition 8.2.80 to 21.2.80

March to May 1990

July to October 1990

January to February 1991

April to May 1991

October to December 1991

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

If anybody wants them, I now have as spares:- 

January 1982

June 1984

December 1986

June 1987

February 1988

January 1989

June to December 1989 (including two for September)

February 1990 

June 1991

• Like 2

In the cupboard under the stairs that I've been avoiding, I found July 68, January 69 & June 70 should any one want them.