British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

1949threepence

Old Coin Monthly's still outstanding

If anybody has any of the following to spare, I'd be very grateful. Thanks in advance:-

1967: February, March, April, May, June, September

1968: March, May, September

1970: February, April.

On 10/6/2019 at 7:05 PM, 1949threepence said:

If anybody has any of the following to spare, I'd be very grateful. Thanks in advance:-

The ones that I've crossed out I now have.

Still on the lookout for the others.

Thanks.

On 10/6/2019 at 7:05 PM, 1949threepence said:

Further crossings out. Now just four months of the original eleven still outstanding. 

Now got them all with the solitary exception of May 1967.

be interesting to know what's in that issue.

22 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

be interesting to know what's in that issue.

The April edition does make mention of an interesting article about pennies, upcoming in the May edition.

On 2/23/2020 at 5:10 PM, 1949threepence said:

Now got them all with the solitary exception of May 1967.

Finally got it - had to buy another 6 I'd already got, with it. But that wasn't a problem.  

• Like 4

On 2/24/2020 at 9:45 PM, 1949threepence said:

The April edition does make mention of an interesting article about pennies, upcoming in the May edition.

Was it an interesting 'penny' article Mike?

Put us out of our misery!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, alfnail said:

I don't know Ian. I made the order just before I posted. 

So when I say I've got it, what I really meant was that I've bagged it, but not yet received it.

I'll report back when I do. 

• Like 1

When you have the full set u will be able to threaten non coinsters with making them  read them all.

Seriously though well done , that shelf must be groaning

• Like 1

3 hours ago, copper123 said:

When you have the full set u will be able to threaten non coinsters with making them  read them all.

Seriously though well done , that shelf must be groaning

Thanks. At the moment I've got each year in a rubber band, which I keep in a cardboard box in my spare bedroom. I must get some shelves fitted in there at some point.

One thing I will do, and wish I'd done when I first read them, is to go through each one and make a note of the interesting articles I've seen, which month and year etc, so I can just put my hand on them when required.. 

54 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

One thing I will do, and wish I'd done when I first read them, is to go through each one and make a note of the interesting articles I've seen, which month and year etc, so I can just put my hand on them when required.. 

Well if you ever get round to doing that, I would be interested to know which ones have articles about  Threepences and Sixpences. The only one I have  is July 1981 and covers Sixpence Varieties. It also says that the next Months Issue covers Victorian Jubilee and Old Head sixpences and Edward VII. So would be interested if you could confirm this for me if possible. I can then go searching for that copy.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, UPINSMOKE said:

Well if you ever get round to doing that, I would be interested to know which ones have articles about  Threepences and Sixpences. The only one I have  is July 1981 and covers Sixpence Varieties. It also says that the next Months Issue covers Victorian Jubilee and Old Head sixpences and Edward VII. So would be interested if you could confirm this for me if possible. I can then go searching for that copy.

Ah well, so far I only have up to the end of 1977. Editions after that, especially in the 1980's are much harder to come by. But I will be starting on them in the new year. I wanted to compete the first phase before that though. If I see any other articles about threepences and sixpences in the early editions, I'll make a note of then for you, Mick. 

In the meantime @DaveG38 has every copy from the start in November 1966, right up to the finish in February 1992. He might be able to help you with August 1981. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

If I see any other articles about threepences and sixpences in the early editions, I'll make a note of then for you, Mick. 

Thanks Mike I appreciate that😀

• Like 1

On 12/11/2020 at 2:06 PM, UPINSMOKE said:

Thanks Mike I appreciate that😀

Slowly working my way through, Mick, and I have come across a small article on brass threepence and 20th century 6d varieties in the February 1971 edition. It's not much of an article to be honest, consisting just of a tabular list. But you're welcome to a photo - let me know if you're interested. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

Slowly working my way through, Mick, and I have come across a small article on brass threepence and 20th century 6d varieties in the February 1971 edition. It's not much of an article to be honest, consisting just of a tabular list. But you're welcome to a photo - let me know if you're interested. 

Hi Mike yes anything you have would be great. Thanks for taking the time to have a look.😀

On 12/8/2020 at 3:03 PM, alfnail said:

On 12/8/2020 at 3:28 PM, blakeyboy said:

Put us out of our misery!!!

It was a 10,000 penny survey. Quite interesting, but there were a number of such surveys done around that time.

ETA: truncated pic after photoscaping to reduce size.

May 1967 2.PNG

Edited by 1949threepence
  • Like 2

Funny how pocket sample survey results, from the time, match the 'feel' for rarity that developed from a child much more than

mintage figures seem to do now.....

• Like 1

There's a major confusion due to a mix up between 1919 and 1919H. Apart from that, the estimated numbers seem very close to the actual found for 20thC pennies. Though I'm slightly baffled by the zero estimates for 1922 and 1926, I'd have thought some of each would be expected.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

Funny how pocket sample survey results, from the time, match the 'feel' for rarity that developed from a child much more than

mintage figures seem to do now.....

They were living in the age of circulating pennies, and these figures represent absolute reality at the time. There's no way such a feel could be reproduced now, post decimalisation and post melt, over 50 years on. That's why these surveys, however rudimentary some of them were, are so historically valuable IMO. Actually there's nothing wrong with rudimentary - it's tabular. straightforward and very easy to understand the meaning in a few seconds, which is what you want. I wish more stuff was like that these days.  

16 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

There's a major confusion due to a mix up between 1919 and 1919H. Apart from that, the estimated numbers seem very close to the actual found for 20thC pennies. Though I'm slightly baffled by the zero estimates for 1922 and 1926, I'd have thought some of each would be expected.

Yes, he's obviously got the estimates for 1919 & 1919H the wrong way round. Also, as you say, quite why he would have nil as the estimates for 1922 and 1926 is a bit odd. What he actually found was (I reckon) pretty much in line with the sort of figures out of 10k, you might have expected for those years. Possibly even a tad under.   

• Like 2

One other noticeable inconsistency is the count for all of the 1960s pennies in comparison to the entry for 1966 as it is under half the count for each of the other years.    I wonder if this is the result of the 10K of coins having been collected in a different area as to where the majority of the 1966s were released, and hadn't had time to spread out across the whole country, or that a large number of them were still in the hands of the banks still awaiting release , even as late as May 1967 when the article was released .   ?

• Like 1

On 12/11/2020 at 9:14 AM, 1949threepence said:

Ah well, so far I only have up to the end of 1977. Editions after that, especially in the 1980's are much harder to come by. But I will be starting on them in the new year. I wanted to compete the first phase before that though. If I see any other articles about threepences and sixpences in the early editions, I'll make a note of then for you, Mick. 

In the meantime @DaveG38 has every copy from the start in November 1966, right up to the finish in February 1992. He might be able to help you with August 1981. 

So anyway, there I was scrolling casually through a search on e bay for copies of "Coin Monthly" that I don't yet have, when lo and behold, four complete years for the 1980's appear - 1981, 1983, 1985 & 1986. Placed orders for all four, and also 10 from January to October 1979. Although I've already got one or two random months for some of those years.  

It might be a question of gradually filling in gaps, as apart from the odd random issues, you really don't normally see many from the 1980's - and I've yet to see any at all from those last days in the early 90's. Saw another couple of randoms, this time from June 1987 and September 1989, I think it was. But that involved buying other back copies from 1983, which I've just ordered. Might have to start going down that road, however. 

It also looks as though they were also doing fortnightly (or even weekly) versions for a time in the late 70's and early 80's. Not sure if they were in addition to, or a replacement for the usual monthly editions.       

On 12/19/2020 at 6:08 PM, terrysoldpennies said:

One other noticeable inconsistency is the count for all of the 1960s pennies in comparison to the entry for 1966 as it is under half the count for each of the other years.    I wonder if this is the result of the 10K of coins having been collected in a different area as to where the majority of the 1966s were released, and hadn't had time to spread out across the whole country, or that a large number of them were still in the hands of the banks still awaiting release , even as late as May 1967 when the article was released .   ?

Or maybe there was an early hoarding of 1966 once everyone knew all pennies would be dated 1967 for the remaining years? I'm sure if there was, it must have ended fairly abruptly as 1966 pennies were very common subsequently.

On 12/19/2020 at 6:08 PM, 1949threepence said:

It also looks as though they were also doing fortnightly (or even weekly) versions for a time in the late 70's and early 80's. Not sure if they were in addition to, or a replacement for the usual monthly editions.       

Yes, the monthly became  a fortnightly for a couple of years - these were all regular issues so there was no 'monthly' for that period.

• Like 1