British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
shane carew

The end of an era - CCA

Time flies they say and staring at he clock, it feels really hard to come to terms with the fact that the last CCA at Croydon took place this morning. I have been a regular at CCA from the mid 90s and though their standards dropped quite significantly after Laurie Bamford they still managed the odd rarity, which made the trip to CCA from one end of the of the country to the other a worthwhile exercise. In my experience CCA could have been one of UK's top 5 coin auction-houses, but somewhere down the line they lost their way. In any case they leave behind a vacuum that would be hard to fill and I hope they will be remembered for the innumerable penny rarities that passed through their doors. I would have loved to have been there this morning if my dog hadn't broken its leg so I am having to send my wishes over the ether. My best wishes to Graham and Linda with whatever they plan to do next.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Thanks for the update. The lack of photos (and brief descriptions) meant that it was really risky to leave commission bids. But I am certain very good deals were available if one can attend in person.  The disappearance of a 5% commission auction house is indeed rather sad. 

Most of my early penny acquisitions were from CCA and I was a regular through the 80's and 90's. Laurie always had the first pick of the pennies but he was not a hoarder and if he had a better example he would always let the next best go to his auction. Sad to see them go but it's good that they're finishing (at Croydon) through choice rather than being a victim of the internet.

Well I'm sad they've folded, but I have to say that in possibly 6 or 7 years of trying, I never once found details of forthcoming auction lots. Their website was an utter mystery to me. 

I found some really rare patterns there, some unknown previously or at least not published - and not for a lot at that. I really looked forward to their listings, even when I was not bidding. Sad to hear really....

A shame to see them go - much of my early collecting was done via Graeme at Charing X Fair including virtually a complete date run of milled crowns, some of which I still have.  In more recent years I've sold my lower grade duplicates at CCA (the 1665 crown yesterday was mine - originally bought from Graeme in the early 80's).    Best wishes to Graeme & Linda for the future.