British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Mycoins

2014 Sovereign Mule

In 2014 the Royal Mint by mistake issued a certain number of sovereigns with proof reverse and a adverse in business strike- quality. Are there any records regarding the mintigfigures for this " mule- edition " ?

Where did you hear about it?

Can it be genuinely described as a mule? There is nothing wrong with using a proof die for currency once the proof run has finished as you would expect to have a perfectly good die that could be used again. You certainly wouldn't deface the fields to produce a 'current' die.

• Like 1

I'm pretty certain it is around 398 - that would be all of the 400 sovereigns struck on the day of Prince George's 1st birthday less the 2 that didn't sell (there was a maximum coin mintage of 400 with only 398 released).

Hi Rob, from memory the appearance is most definitely proof ie highly polished blank on one side only which has been struck at least twice so I assume the different proof / non-proof strike is deliberate. What dies were used I've no idea. I say deliberate as I think this also took place on the double sovereigns of the same year and also on other sovereigns of recent years. 

Probably not a mule but that is what the grading companies and many dealers have labelled it (PCGS describe the coin as "mule - incorrect obverse die"). The Royal mint describe the coin as BU in the corresponding booklet.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1