British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Zo Arms

Indian temple token?

Hi all.

This came amongst a box of foreign coins. The best that I could find via Google suggested a temple token. And a couple of Indian friends thought it very old and very valuable. Not that I think it is.

It's around 20mm diameter and non magnetic. Don't think it's silver either. Just an interesting little coin. Does anyone have any clues please?

Bob.

IMG_20190928_225941-1168x876.jpg

WP_20190928_22_54_19_Pro-960x540.jpg

I don't know where they got the idea of an Indian Temple token! The writing is Thai and I am pretty sure it is a Tin 25 Satang (1/4 Baht) dated 1946 but also minted 1954 to 1964.

See https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces9274.html

Officially of very low value but Thai people are fiercely loyal to their Royal family and non-coin collectors love to have examples of their old monarchs.This is Rama VIII and I think he reigned until 1957.

12 hours ago, Paddy said:

I don't know where they got the idea of an Indian Temple token! The writing is Thai and I am pretty sure it is a Tin 25 Satang (1/4 Baht) dated 1946 but also minted 1954 to 1964.

See https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces9274.html

Officially of very low value but Thai people are fiercely loyal to their Royal family and non-coin collectors love to have examples of their old monarchs.This is Rama VIII and I think he reigned until 1957.

Thanks Paddy. That's definitely the coin I have. I'd not considered tin as an option, but it feels like it. Interesting to know now what it is.

Not my bag really so if you or anyone else would like it, I'll post it on FOC.

Bob.

• Like 1