British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
JLS

1861 halfpenny - Freeman 277 ?

Just picked up some bun pieces to have a go at learning to attribute varieties on these. I think this 1861 piece is 6 + G (Freeman 277) due to the incuse veins on the leaves + the spacing of the inner circle - confirmation or correction would be most appreciated ! 

1861bp2.JPG

1861bp.JPG

On 9/23/2019 at 3:58 AM, Bronze & Copper Collector said:

Image looks like a 7 & G, F-282..

Can't be sure unless it's in hand

I thought so initially too, as that's the commonest type, but wouldn't the obverse have relief lines on the leaves then ? 

7 hours ago, JLS said:

I thought so initially too, as that's the commonest type, but wouldn't the obverse have relief lines on the leaves then ? 

There are times that it looks like an obverse 6 too....

You have the coin in hand so I'll defer to your assessment.

Images can be deceptive even with no deception intended....

Isn't the extra leaf (bottom left in the 3rd group) the key indicator ? i.e. Obv 7

2086512484_Obv7zoom.jpg.8c8cf0d3e87ad1fae7addcf4c900c7fa.jpg

2 hours ago, secret santa said:

Isn't the extra leaf (bottom left in the 3rd group) the key indicator ? i.e. Obv 7

2086512484_Obv7zoom.jpg.8c8cf0d3e87ad1fae7addcf4c900c7fa.jpg

Yes, obverse 7 for me too.

On 9/22/2019 at 12:53 AM, JLS said:

Just picked up some bun pieces to have a go at learning to attribute varieties on these.

In the process of creating my website of halfpenny varieties, I'm finding it much more difficult to differentiate between halfpenny varieties than penny varieties.  Some of the differences are so slight that it must be a nightmare trying to identify worn specimens.

48 minutes ago, secret santa said:

In the process of creating my website of halfpenny varieties, I'm finding it much more difficult to differentiate between halfpenny varieties than penny varieties.  Some of the differences are so slight that it must be a nightmare trying to identify worn specimens.

It is. I've often been impressed how the penny guys can identify even the most knackered of washers, but when it comes to halfpennies there don't seem to be as many pointers. I'm getting better but frequently have to resort to counting border teeth to pin down reverses. There seems to be very little in the way of colon pointings etc.