British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
pokal02

Aethelred II stycas

Is there any way to apportion these to 1st or 2nd reign (where Spink lists moneyer for both reigns)?  Mine - moneyer Wulfred - has an inner circle which seems more associated with 2nd reign but I'm not sure if this is conclusive?  I'd welcome any help. 

Elizabeth Pirie did a lot of work on these and suggested a chronology using die links, but any interpretation is open to amendment based on subsequent evidence or alternative views. I think it more a case of best fit, with the moneyers associated with the higher silver content coins coming at the beginning of the sequence and then take it from there. I know I have found a couple of pairs not listed in her book which made me question the chronological assignment, but generally speaking, most of what is written holds true.

I can recommend her 1996 book published by Galata as it covers over 2000 die pairs. There is also another covering the coins in Newcastle published in 1982. The 1996 book costs £80 from Galata, so not prohibitively expensive.

The inner circle is found on both early and later coins, but Wulfred as a moneyer is skewed towards the later period.

Thanks Rob,

I was wondering whether Pirie 1996 or Lyon 2016 (about the same price) was the better way to go - will go with the former now.  

10 hours ago, pokal02 said:

Thanks Rob,

I was wondering whether Pirie 1996 or Lyon 2016 (about the same price) was the better way to go - will go with the former now.  

You need all references because there is always something in one that isn't in the next etc.

Pirie’s cataloging is confusing but the book is still worth picking up.

My approach is to put the moneyers in the following classes-

1st reign: Alghere, Brother, Coenred, Cynemund, Eanred, Forthred, Hunlaf, Leofthegn, Odilo, Wendelberht, Wihtred, Wulfred

2nd reign: Eanwulf, Eardwulf, Wulfsige

I am not sure where to put Monne since he coined for Eanred, Aethelred, Redwulf, and Osberht- a remarkably long career and probably one which spanned both of Aethelred’s reigns.

I base this less on die links which can sometimes be haphazard and chaotic.  The moneyers Brother, Forthred, Odilo, Wihtred, and Wulfre also coined for Eanred, so they should have been active in Aethelred’s 1st reign.  The moneyers Eanwulf and Wulfsige coined for Osberht so they fall into the latter reign.  Of the others, it seems Leofthegn was the dominant moneyer in the first reign and Eardwulf in the second.  The usurpation or Redwulf and attacks by the Vikings may have decreased the need for moneyers.  It is not clear that any of the guys who coined for Redwulf (other than Monne) continued to work for Aethelred during his second reign.

Wulfred is also a difficult case as there is an episcopal moneyer named Wulfred who coined for Wulfhere, it’s not clear this was the same person who was coining for Eanred and Aethelred.

I believe in his landmark paper from years ago, Hugh Pagan suggested a ‘Monne A’ and ‘Monne B’, and ‘Wulfred A’ and ‘Wulfred B’