British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Link Samus

Freeman 10 possible V over first V in Victoria?

It appears as though the original V was struck out of alignment and another V stuck over it. This is the best clarity i could manage to achieve with my phone and magnifying glass.

Yes, I have seen this misplaced V repair before, a nice clear example. I rather like these squiffy letter and number repairs, but unless an overstrike is with an inappropriate punch, they are not usually given varietal status or attract much increased prices. Do keep looking for them.

Jerry

They are interesting, although, personally I don't consider repairs and over strikes as their own full varieties really, but some are common enough to have variety status. I would consider things like this as a sub variety instead of their own Freeman number.

Take the 1865 F51 5 over 3 for example, it's the same as F50 aside from the over strike and to me, should be appended with a letter at the end and should really be called something like F50A. I think this would be a good way to go about classification if a new variety system is made, maybe something similar to Gouby more simplified like Freeman.

No.....IMO Adam the two parts to the right you can see ,first part is the internal V and second part external if that makes sense.

If the second part is raised on the coin , maybe why your line does not look straight 🙂

Edited by PWA 1967

I understand what you mean but  I tried to estimate what could be the original position but I think the lines may not be the edges but leftover material from somewhere in the middle of of the legs. I've coloured the raised areas in red and and a possible outline in blue. It's strange though because the top serifs of the V seem to be at 2 different heights.

I also just noticed the "I" next to it has been overstruck also.

inCollage_20190913_175239861_40p.jpg