British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Link Samus

Freeman 13 inverted V for A in Victoria?

I've just purchased this F13 coin and it appears to have an inverted V over the A as in the the recent topic about the F10 coin. It hasn't arrived yet so I've only got these 2 images at the moment. Is this a rarity and does it look like a V over A or a filled die to you guys?

inCollage_20190908_140415098_40p.jpg

6 minutes ago, Link Samus said:

I've just purchased this F13 coin and it appears to have an inverted V over the A as in the the recent topic about the F10 coin. It hasn't arrived yet so I've only got these 2 images at the moment. Is this a rarity and does it look like a V over A or a filled die to you guys?

inCollage_20190908_140415098_40p.jpg

Looks like a normal A with a weak crossbar....

I've seen many like that...

• Thanks 1

Wait till you get it in hand Gary. My 1860 has a very clear crossbar that doesn't show in photographs but in hand looks as though an inverted V has been struck over the A.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, secret santa said:

Wait till you get it in hand Gary. My 1860 has a very clear crossbar that doesn't show in photographs but in hand looks as though an inverted V has been struck over the A.

That's always the final determinant Richard, and I erred in reading it as "inverted V instead of A"..

That being said, I distinctly see a crossbar so, my amended observation is, it is not an inverted V for A, although there is a possibility that it could be an inverted V over A, reinforcing the A.

A close examination with coin in hand would be the determining factor.

I now have the coin and I've cleaned a little bit of the grot from around the lettering and so here's an updated picture. The middle bar of the A doesn't appear to flow into the legs and is in slightly lower relief, I'm not sure if this implies it's an over strike or not though.

20190910_232328_40p.jpg