British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Two 1914 florins I have one a NGC MS64 and the other one I brought on Ebay some time ago. Both are nice coins but I was wondering which was the better coin. I value any comments as it helps me to improve my grading skills by having a second opinion in addition countering my bias regarding ownership of the coin. My view is the NGC coin is better as there seems to be some wear on the top of the King's ear and eyebrow but this could be due to a worn die  Thanks.

Florin 1914.jpg

1914 Florin a.jpg

Edited by ozjohn
More info

Yes, coin number one for me - better struck on reverse & see lions on shield as example as well as hair detail on obverse as well as brow showing a bit less detail.  Maybe just a bit of rub.  Lustre better IMO on second. 

Thanks  Vicky. Yes I was forgetting about the lions. Of course my comments regarding possible wear refers to the second coin which was not very clear in my first post.

Edited by ozjohn

You could keep both, as the top example appears to be Rev E, whilst the bottom one looks like Rev C.

43 minutes ago, DaveG38 said:

You could keep both, as the top example appears to be Rev E, whilst the bottom one looks like Rev C.

Excuse my ignorance as I only collect dates. What is the difference between Rev E and Rev C?

7 hours ago, ozjohn said:

Excuse my ignorance as I only collect dates. What is the difference between Rev E and Rev C?

For reverse C, the top of the crown on the Irish harp points to a bead and the rim is very thin, whereas on reverse E, the top of the crown points to a space and the rim is thicker. There are other identifiers, but these should be enough for high garde examples.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DaveG38 said:

For reverse C, the top of the crown on the Irish harp points to a bead and the rim is very thin, whereas on reverse E, the top of the crown points to a space and the rim is thicker. There are other identifiers, but these should be enough for high garde examples.  

Thanks. Ozjohn.