British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
oldcopper

Waterbird Collection

Yikes, wives must be on the mild side! It will be interesting to see how some of these coins fare. Many really nice, some not quite up to the rest...

On 9/3/2019 at 10:06 AM, oldcopper said:

The Waterboard collection (sorry, I thought I'd crack that lame joke before anyone else did!) is now on Spink's website. Some die number/die letter Victorian bronze but mainly gold and silver. Nice to look at and many fantastic coins! Many are in Waterbird-customised slabs, which is the main attraction of course.

I notice the collector (Al Batross?) bought a few items from Mark Rasmussen's Noad list but they haven't mentioned the modern provenance of these pieces for some reason, only the old ones. This is a habit some auction houses are forming.

At the request of the Vendor the most recent provenance was obfuscated. We suggested people would immediately know the provenance but had to go by vendor's wishes. We will always put provenance where known. It's a important part of differentiation in the current market.

• Thanks 1

On 9/3/2019 at 12:52 PM, PWA 1967 said:

Yes its a fantastic collection rather than just being the same denomination and think some may look a lot better in hand .

The Spink photography IMO is sometimes not very good when reproduced for the catalogue.

Good luck to the owner of the collection 👍

Something we are working on 👍

Yes, please, helpful for those of us unable to attend the auction.

NGC seemed IMO to give some of these coins a push so will look forward to seeing if buying the coin takes precedence over the plastic grade. One example: the 1854 florin. The shilling of like date also getting a couple of points.

Edited by VickySilver

So the live auction starts at 3pm, if i am not mistaken. And the bids already listed are just showing what people have bid already. An interesting auction to be sure. Looking at trying to get one coin in particular. Good luck everybody.

The auction is running and I'm watching some pretty meaty bidding.

25 minutes ago, Iannich48 said:

1849 penny, it was war! Lovely coin that.

Yes, it was the Alderney coin, went for £3250 back then ( in 2007).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Iannich48 said:

So the live auction starts at 3pm, if i am not mistaken. And the bids already listed are just showing what people have bid already. An interesting auction to be sure. Looking at trying to get one coin in particular. Good luck everybody.

did you get it?

I did not get the coin that i wanted. I bid on two others, but no good this time. How about you? Any bids jaggy?

Edited by Iannich48

33 minutes ago, Iannich48 said:

I did not get the coin that i wanted. I bid on two others, but no good this time. How about you? Any bids jaggy?

Yeah, I got mine.

Lot 42. 1893 Jubilee Head sixpence

Edited by jaggy
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Iannich48 said:

Now that is a great win. Extremely nice and very rare. Congrats.

Thanks.

I missed it first time around at DNW

Can we (I) ask the crass question as to how much it went for. Out of curiosity, what would YOU grade it. Some of the Waterbird coins were grossly overgraded (such as the 1854 shilling and florin).

I thought the 1922 penny a good deal at 1100...

20 minutes ago, VickySilver said:

Can we (I) ask the crass question as to how much it went for. Out of curiosity, what would YOU grade it. Some of the Waterbird coins were grossly overgraded (such as the 1854 shilling and florin).

Indeed, the 1854 florin looked maybe aef, so that was a decent price. I did bid on the 1922 penny at £950, but it was not my first choice, so only a half serious bid.

Edited by Iannich48

44 minutes ago, VickySilver said:

Hammer was £2,700. There was nobody in the room bidding against me. 

Based on the photos, I think the grade of EF is probably about right. There are some scratches but they do not look like cleaning ones. If I have it graded, I think AU53-55 would be fair.

That said, given its rarity and condition, this was a hard one to walk away from.

Yes, nice. I had to part with a lot more for one from Colin Cooke years ago - when the pound was HIGHER.

Good work!

• Like 1

Overall and generally I dont think that the prices acheived were that crazy and certainly a few bargains to be had and the cheaper end .....Lot 27 the 1823 Halfcrown at £1600 hammer and Lot 62 the 1922 / 27 Penny at £1100 hammer were cheap coins I would say.  

Yes the 1922 with 1927 reverse was an unexpected bargain, as was, arguably the 1863 die no 4 under date at £2K. But wow, £111K for the Edward VIII penny was well above expectations, and there was obviously a bun fight for the 1849 penny. 

OK, I confess, I bought the 1922/27 penny. Had to at that price, LOL.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, VickySilver said:

OK, I confess, I bought the 1922/27 penny. Had to at that price, LOL.

Well done. Nice buy.

On 9/24/2019 at 8:01 PM, bagerap said:

This link doesn't seem to work on my desktop PC and the Spink website is the worst in the world at finding past lots in the archive - just doesn't work.

Edited by secret santa

42 minutes ago, secret santa said:

This link doesn't seem to work on my desktop PC and the Spink website is the worst in the world at finding past lots in the archive - just doesn't work.

In my experience, the archive has never worked - always comes up with "no lots found" however broad the search parameters