British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
oldcopper

Waterbird Collection

The Waterboard collection (sorry, I thought I'd crack that lame joke before anyone else did!) is now on Spink's website. Some die number/die letter Victorian bronze but mainly gold and silver. Nice to look at and many fantastic coins! Many are in Waterbird-customised slabs, which is the main attraction of course.

I notice the collector (Al Batross?) bought a few items from Mark Rasmussen's Noad list but they haven't mentioned the modern provenance of these pieces for some reason, only the old ones. This is a habit some auction houses are forming.

• Haha 1

Wow, there are some nice coins that i would like in that auction. 1863 florin and the three rarest pennies. I would be happy to get any of those.

8 minutes ago, Iannich48 said:

Wow, there are some nice coins that i would like in that auction. 1863 florin and the three rarest pennies. I would be happy to get any of those.

The 1808, 1937 and which other?

Not sure about that 1854 Shilling being MS64 (lot 39) to the left an MS62 graded by NGC and to the right the Waterbird coin

1854.jpg

Edited by azda

1 hour ago, oldcopper said:

The 1808, 1937 and which other?

Oh, my apologies oldcopper, getting both of them at once would be greedy. 😁I forgot to say copper pennies, so 1843, 1849 and 1860/59.

50 minutes ago, Iannich48 said:

Oh, my apologies oldcopper, getting both of them at once would be greedy. 😁I forgot to say copper pennies, so 1843, 1849 and 1860/59.

Yes, they're all nice examples.

Yes its a fantastic collection rather than just being the same denomination and think some may look a lot better in hand .

The Spink photography IMO is sometimes not very good when reproduced for the catalogue.

Good luck to the owner of the collection 👍

Phwoar - what a collection. Some really nice stuff in there.

Wonder how much the Edward VIII penny will ultimately fetch? 

I agree with Azda about the 1854 shilling. Really now! I did get an MS64 some years ago that is the real deal and this is not in a league - I thought maybe a "61"

The 1860/59 has a truly lovely obverse strike with the average reverse, [in]complete with missing pectoral/boob.

Edited by VickySilver

Although the 1808 penny is unique , the 1937 is an iconic piece whereas the 1808 is not .. so it will have more global appeal therefore I think the 37 will do much better.

is anyone buying anything from the collection .. I rather like the Richard 3 Angel 

1 hour ago, Colin88 said:

Although the 1808 penny is unique , the 1937 is an iconic piece whereas the 1808 is not .. so it will have more global appeal therefore I think the 37 will do much better.

is anyone buying anything from the collection .. I rather like the Richard 3 Angel 

Yes but if you buy the 1937 penny then you have to try and get the farthing halfpenny sixpence etc 

You buy the 1808 penny and you have the only one or the set , should not cost you enough to buy a semi detatched house as well

I’d be happy with the 37 penny on its own without chasing the set .. Sov Rareties had the sixpence a while ago at £55k 

9 minutes ago, Colin88 said:

I’d be happy with the 37 penny on its own without chasing the set .. Sov Rareties had the sixpence a while ago at £55k 

So would I, but that price is a different league. 

Edited by 1949threepence

3 hours ago, Colin88 said:

So would I.

However, inasmuch as I only collect circulation strikes and do not actively pursue proofs nor patterns, I'm not losing any sleep over it.

Edited by Bronze & Copper Collector
  • Like 2

Each to their own 

4 hours ago, Colin88 said:

I’d be happy with the 37 penny on its own

So would I - I dropped the phrase "Equity Release" into conversation with my wife and she retaliated with the phrase "earthly existence release"............

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, secret santa said:

So would I - I dropped the phrase "Equity Release" into conversation with my wife and she retaliated with the phrase "earthly existence release"............

"It's easier to ask for forgiveness, than it is to get permission".

-- Grace Hopper

3 minutes ago, Coppers said:

"It's easier to ask for forgiveness, than it is to get permission".

-- Grace Hopper

Never heard that before, but indeed, how true.

Provided nobody else gets hurt in the process, once it's done it's done, life moves rapidly on and memories are short. 

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, copper123 said:

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

We are born with nothing, so if we die in debt then we've made a profit. (Anon.)

Just do it ... Nike ! 

Its like buying a house , or that boat , or that car u always wanted... if you sit down and analyse it you will never get it ..

Just do it .. take the flak from the wife then it passes .. like the quote above .. don’t ask  permission , ask forgiveness 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bernie said:

Just don't tell the wife !

Exactly ... my best one is I went out to buy a washing machine and came back with a Porsche .. they get over it .. 😁👍

• Haha 2