British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

aledjones

Any ideas what this coin could be please?

Hi All,

Ive managed to find this coin but unable to identify it. Hoped that someone here might have a greater knowledge than myself and may suggest a few ideas that i could follow up with further research. Many thanks

Al

DSCN1971_compressed.JPG

DSCN1972_compressed.JPG

Your pictures are tiny and blurred, but I think I see the remains of a Druid's head token there. If so will date around 1788 to 1792 and often listed under Anglesey or North Wales.

Many Thanks!

Yes this would make sense as my relative used to live in Anglesey. With that information i've been able to see some pictures online and they look very similar.  I have a few coins that i'm looking to sell at auction but i'm not getting any responses from the auction houses that i've contacted. Do you have any recommendations about which auction rooms are good for selling coins? Or any auction rooms that actually return your emails would be great!

I also have this coin below but have had some success in identifying any further information would be greatfully received.

I believe its a George II 1736 coin

DSCN1964_compr.JPG

DSCN1968_comp.JPG

It certainly looks like a George 11 Irish halfpenny, but the pics are too blurred to confirm the date.

You will need coins of much better quality than these before a numismatic auction house would touch them. These would be lucky to attract a bid on EBay-  do a search for example on “George Irish Halfpenny ‘ and press ‘completed listings’ to get an idea of what sells, and for how much. 

If you do have better quality coins, try to post improved pictures and we can advise if they are auction house quality.

Jerry

As Jerry said in the post above, the two coins you've posted are both of such low quality they would be of zero interest to any auction house and if you listed them on eBay with a starting price of 99p I doubt you'd get any bids.

One other thing; neither of your coins are hammered so they are in the wrong area. Try posting them and any other of your non-hammered (milled) coins here instead and I'm sure that you'll get plenty of help. But with much better photos or scans please.

Thanks guys for all your help and advise. I have a few coins but this site will not allow me to post large pictures. Any suggestions how i can make them smaller without loosing quality of the pictures? Thanks Coys55 i will start another post in future in the correct area. Big game tomorrow for Spurs, COYS!

Use the App "Paint" (which is a standard app in windows) to open the picture. Then click the "resize" button in the tool bar. Then select "pixels". Reduce the horizontal pixel number (try 1200 or 1000). Then save and use properties to see if you have reduce the picture to 0.5Mb or less. If not repeat the process and reduce the horizontal number further. 

Or, email the picture to yourself, selecting the image size so your received email from you has a picture below .5Mb!

Thanks Sword I've done what you suggested and i'm posting the pic again to see if this is better and is less than 0.5.

paint experiemnt.jpg

For some reason it won't let me send the second picture and its smaller than the first one!

10 hours ago, aledjones said:

For some reason it won't let me send the second picture and its smaller than the first one!

This is a glitch of the website. You need to sign out, wipe web history and then post the second picture.

I have tried to brighten up your photo a little.

900832370_1-Copy.thumb.jpg.a4b64edeb0b1d05c8f313747352d6ce4.jpg