British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Peckris 2

What?? I don't believe it!!

How... on earth did they... we... do it?????

Headingley, for the second time in my lifetime. :o :) :D

Yes......Unbelievable ,i am a city fan and could not turn the cricket over.

Big hat off to Leach ,as a lot of pressure for a non batsman 👍

• Like 2

I left Wakefield just after they were 9 down and needing a miracle. Commentary was on digital Sports Extra, so didn't know what was going on whilst driving home as the car has a steam powered radio. Got back home and they needed 9 to win. Wow.

I don't care what they do now as long as it involves some major surgery to the top order. Bowling isn't a problem. Batting is a disgrace if you ignore this one-off innings.

2 hours ago, Rob said:

I left Wakefield just after they were 9 down and needing a miracle. Commentary was on digital Sports Extra, so didn't know what was going on whilst driving home as the car has a steam powered radio. Got back home and they needed 9 to win. Wow.

I don't care what they do now as long as it involves some major surgery to the top order. Bowling isn't a problem. Batting is a disgrace if you ignore this one-off innings.

Root is no good at 3 - should move back to 4, Bairstow CAN produce a good innings, Burns and Denley seem useful prospects in the long run. Roy? Liability in the Test team. Buttler needs runs, and soon. 

But the end of this game was no good for my stress levels! Like Edgbaston 2005, and just as close, and also the right result.

Ooh me head.

Barbecue at a friend's place.

As the tension rose, the measures of Malt got bigger....

The introduction of 20 over cricket has completely messed up a lot of players' ability to discipline themselves to the 5 day game. Admittedly England's first innings was crap on steroids, but when you see a seasoned professional batsman standing virtually still, yet waving his bat almost to a wide position in order to touch the ball, then you know their mind is set is 20 over cricket - i.e. get at least a single off every ball because every dot ball is a waste, we only have 20 overs per innings and a full 10 wickets to lose - should get there with a wicket or two remaining. 

I suspect the differences between the 5 day match versus the limited over run chase is probably affecting all batsmen because the bowlers have essentially the same task whatever the length of the game. Smith and Labuschagne aside, the Aussie batting has hardly excelled itself.

Probably the best innings that I have ever seen, given the various situations that Stokes found himself in. 2 runs off his first 50 balls showed the rest of them what Test cricket is all about and then his management of the innings was breathtaking.

I agree that Roy has to go, and the affect of one day cricket on Test cricket can't be lost amongst the hysteria of this win which did have its elements of good fortune with dropped catch, fumbled run out and wasted review.

But still one of the greatest sporting occasions of my life.

• Like 1

Well done Ben Stokes.

I must admit I watched the Bournemouth - Man City match.

• Sad 1

Sir Ben Stokes?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, blakeyboy said:

Sir Ben Stokes?

Probably not until he retires, and then only if he keeps his nose clean. No more nightclub fracas!

Of course, if the cricket supporters in England had their way, he'd be King by now!

Ben Stokes - the only thing more difficult to get out than a Scotsman's wallet.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Well done Ben Stokes.

I must admit I watched the Bournemouth - Man City match.

Didn't know you were a Bournemouth fan Mike!

1 minute ago, Peckris 2 said:

Didn't know you were a Bournemouth fan Mike!

I'm not, Chris. Nor a Man City one - but I do have Aguero, Sterling and David Silva in my work Fantasy football team (league of 23 members of staff), as well as Callum Wilson from Bournemouth. So it was an important match in that sense.  

• Like 1

On 8/25/2019 at 8:10 PM, Rob said:

as the car has a steam powered radio.

Radio 4 Long Wave. 

I'm not trying to get at you Rob but one reads posts on a forum and assumes because of the authoritative answers on other subjects, that the people concerned are quite aged, but nine times out of ten, its not true.

Anyway take a look at your old radio and you can probably select several wave bands, failing that it is available on Sky Radio on your telly, which is how I listen to the cricket these days. 

10 minutes ago, AardHawk said:

Radio 4 Long Wave. 

Doesn't seem to exist on modern car radios.

5 hours ago, AardHawk said:

Radio 4 Long Wave. 

It's always made me laugh (for several years) when Radio 5Live have a frequent jingle that says "... available on digital radio, streaming, online, podcast, smartphone..." (or words to that effect). An image comes to mind of a BBC directive saying "DON'T MENTION MEDIUM WAVE - UNDER THREAT OF SACKING!". :D

7 hours ago, AardHawk said:

Radio 4 Long Wave. 

I'm not trying to get at you Rob but one reads posts on a forum and assumes because of the authoritative answers on other subjects, that the people concerned are quite aged, but nine times out of ten, its not true.

Anyway take a look at your old radio and you can probably select several wave bands, failing that it is available on Sky Radio on your telly, which is how I listen to the cricket these days. 

6 hours ago, secret santa said:

Doesn't seem to exist on modern car radios.

My car radio doesn't have long wave & Medium only goes down to 530ish.

Best not talk about tellies. I was going to throw ours out on the grounds that Pink Floyd's '13 channels of shit on the TV to choose from' accurately described the situation, but was overruled by the wife.

Don't have Sky.

6 hours ago, Rob said:

My car radio doesn't have long wave & Medium only goes down to 530ish.

Best not talk about tellies. I was going to throw ours out on the grounds that Pink Floyd's '13 channels of shit on the TV to choose from' accurately described the situation, but was overruled by the wife.

Don't have Sky.

Only 13? You were lucky...

• Haha 1

Alright, we're away again tonight lads.

Hold on to your hats !

cheers

19 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

It's always made me laugh (for several years) when Radio 5Live have a frequent jingle that says "... available on digital radio, streaming, online, podcast, smartphone..." (or words to that effect). An image comes to mind of a BBC directive saying "DON'T MENTION MEDIUM WAVE - UNDER THREAT OF SACKING!". :D

Good point - I've heard the Five Live on the hour jingle which is much as you describe. Although to be really trendy they've recently dropped "on tablet" in favour of "on smartspeaker". 

Yes, you can listen to it on all of them, but personally I find a get a better reception on medium wave for 5 live and long wave for Radio 4.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Good point - I've heard the Five Live on the hour jingle which is much as you describe. Although to be really trendy they've recently dropped "on tablet" in favour of "on smartspeaker". 

Yes, you can listen to it on all of them, but personally I find a get a better reception on medium wave for 5 live and long wave for Radio 4.

I use my computer for both these days, and MW for 5L in the car. Sadly there isn't LW on the car radio so have to miss Test Matches when driving. Of course, you may think this is a boon... :D

My car entertainment system has a cassette player. :D