British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

One possible explanation is that F160 that we assume was probably released first, was not initially released in the UK, but that they may have been shipped to one of the colonies early in 1905 using the old 1904 dies .  The location they were sent to may have been somewhere that few bothered to put aside a batch of uncirculated coins , and that sometime later in the year the new reverse die came into use, with the bulk of the release going to banks in this country , the dealers and collectors would then have put aside the newly released penny, unaware that the earlier penny released abroad was in any way different to the ones that they had put away.  Shipments to the colonies were probably sent out early in the year so as to be available during the year actually stamped on the coin , and we must remember that in those days it took quite a time to ship the coins around the world.

Is mine a F160? (Sorry about the small size)

1837281474_1905pennyrev.jpg.cdaa4e3f9f985ce0c978f74417fc0815.jpg

Looks like F160 to me Peck 🙂

Edited by PWA 1967

This is my F160 with a picture that is clearer

1905-m.jpg

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Is mine a F160? (Sorry about the small size)

1837281474_1905pennyrev.jpg.cdaa4e3f9f985ce0c978f74417fc0815.jpg

Definitely a 160, Chris. Here's a 161 - you can see immediately that the E of penny is tilted slightly clockwise and therefore out of alignment with the P. Yours is not:-

Freeman 161.jpg

1 hour ago, terrysoldpennies said:

One possible explanation is that F160 that we assume was probably released first, was not initially released in the UK, but that they may have been shipped to one of the colonies early in 1905 using the old 1904 dies .  The location they were sent to may have been somewhere that few bothered to put aside a batch of uncirculated coins , and that sometime later in the year the new reverse die came into use, with the bulk of the release going to banks in this country , the dealers and collectors would then have put aside the newly released penny, unaware that the earlier penny released abroad was in any way different to the ones that they had put away.  Shipments to the colonies were probably sent out early in the year so as to be available during the year actually stamped on the coin , and we must remember that in those days it took quite a time to ship the coins around the world.

Sounds a plausible explanation, Terry.

30 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

This is my F160 with a picture that is clearer

1905-m.jpg

By the way, that's a cracking specimen, Pete. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Definitely a 160, Chris. Here's a 161 - you can see immediately that the E of penny is tilted slightly clockwise and therefore out of alignment with the P. Yours is not:-

Freeman 161.jpg

Thanks for confirming Mike as looked at Pecks a couple of times and was starting to confuse myself ,again :D

2 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Thanks for confirming Mike as looked at Pecks a couple of times and was starting to confuse myself ,again :D

No problem - this is one difference I recognise immediately.  

15 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

(Just out of interest, which is which - P E or E N ?)

It's PE, obviously. Otherwise you'd be  'Enckris 2'.....

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Freeman 161.jpg

Good to know - thanks guys :)

On 8/21/2019 at 4:03 PM, PWA 1967 said:

LETTER........Whithout typing everything or posting the letter that has some detail better not on a public forum :D

Mr Freeman does mention the Coin monthly articles and having previously read them.

The coin he had been posted was the first one he had SEEN IN HAND.

After mentioning all the differences attribute as 1* an intermediate between OBV 1 & 2.

Statistics reported by Alexander 1 in 567 would be R5 on his scale.

The scale worked out before decimalisation and now (1978)difficult to estimate how many coins still exsist and if the proportions in which particular types or dates were hoarded is similar or different from the average.

Pete.

About the time I realised that the coin was accompanied by a Michael Freeman letter, I e mailed DNW to see if they could supply me a copy. Then when you posted the above, POete, I thought maybe they wouldn't respond, having already sent out a copy to you. But, surprisingly, they now have. They "redacted" the header and signature, thus removing the sensitive detail you refer to above. But here is the rest of the reply - all technical - which expands on what you said above:-

Second bit will have to go in a succeeding post, as there isn't enough room for the two

DNW Coin Department <coins@dnw.co.uk>

Tue 27/08/2019 17:58

Thank you for your enquiry and patience. Hopefully these will be of assistance.

Regards etc. Finch

freeman letter 1.jpg

• Like 1

freeman letter 2.jpg

• Like 2