British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
1949threepence

September 2019 LCA catalogue now up

...and for the penny enthusiast, easily the best and most interesting listings for some considerable time...

link here

• Like 2

Yes, a nice selection and a couple of temptations. But I remain dubious about the 1862/1, if it is an overstrike it is definitely a different die from the examples thus far described.

Jerry

Incidentally, I think the F39A at lot No 1981, is the same one as shown in this post from a month or two back (note the EK at 12 o'clock) . I reckon it was amongst those bought at DNW, most probably by Jack Relph of Coopers Coins. Quite plausibly the "remnants" (for want of a better word) of the Hiram Brown collection. Although the word remnants fails to do them justice. 

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

Incidentally, I think the F39A at lot No 1981, is the same one as shown in this post from a month or two back (note the EK at 12 o'clock) . I reckon it was amongst those bought at DNW, most probably by Jack Relph of Coopers Coins. Quite plausibly the "remnants" (for want of a better word) of the Hiram Brown collection. Although the word remnants fails to do them justice. 

Got a feeling that Jack Relph picked those up at Stroud Auctions (5/12/18) and that they were part of Alan Stevenson's collection. He lived in Cirencester and used to buy a lot on ebay with user name bargains1* before he passed away in June 2018...……....….but I may be wrong. 

2 hours ago, jelida said:

Yes, a nice selection and a couple of temptations. But I remain dubious about the 1862/1, if it is an overstrike it is definitely a different die from the examples thus far described.

Jerry

I agree Jerry, that one is far from convincing. 

44 minutes ago, alfnail said:

Got a feeling that Jack Relph picked those up at Stroud Auctions (5/12/18) and that they were part of Alan Stevenson's collection. He lived in Cirencester and used to buy a lot on ebay with user name bargains1* before he passed away in June 2018...……....….but I may be wrong. 

Thanks Ian, that's interesting. It was Jack Relph who sold a number of other pennies on e bay back in June. I think I can say fairly conclusively that the F39A at least, was sold at the DNW auction, as it was a job lot of 1862 pennies (lot 981). Definitely the same coin as the one identified then. Not sure about the rest - with the exception of the F38 which I bought from him. That too was among that job lot of 1862's. 

Obviously, he could have combined coins from different sources. 

This is the e bay message I received from Jack at the time:-

eBay7?euid=cde43312648b4cc99984b524057035e2&

New message from: cooperscoinscom Top Rated Seller(4,629Red Star)

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your purchase and apologies for the delay in my reply to your message. 

Many of the coins did indeed come from the DNW sale as you noted, including the two you purchased. I hope this helps and I hope you enjoy your new additions!

Kind regards,
Jack

A lot of new specimens of some real rarities - I wonder whose collection it was ?

Is it me, or have they not bothered taking many photos? :huh:

I agree, really did not see but maybe 1/2 or less of the usual....

52 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

No it's not you. They've omitted to take pics of a good number, which is disappointing.

Won't bid on something I can't see.

1 hour ago, mrbadexample said:

I suspect they'll get added over the next few days.

Is lot 1978 really an F28? Looks a lot like an F20 to me.

Jerry

I think its a 2+g  F20 like you Jerry  The obv. 5 normally has a long in cursed cut fold at the top of the outer ribbon which narrows towards the knot.   There also seems to be a very faint signature under the bust on this coin, and not totally cut away as on the obv. 5

Edited by terrysoldpennies

Well spotted Gents - I put this up on my website without thoroughly checking. Shame on me !

LCA do make technical errors. If you look at their 1908 pennies, there are no less than three 166's misattributed as 165's, and a 165, wrongly ID'd as a 164.   

3 hours ago, terrysoldpennies said:

I think its a 2+g  F20 like you Jerry  The obv. 5 normally has a long in cursed cut fold at the top of the outer ribbon which narrows towards the knot.   There also seems to be a very faint signature under the bust on this coin, and not totally cut away as on the obv. 5

I concur completely with your assessment.

Obverse 2, reverse G,  

F-20

Thanks Terry- I never took note of that fold in the ribbon before.

The 1863 florin seems like an optimistic estimate. Vg/Nf £1250-£1500. I need one of these, bit i will not bid for this one. 

Indeed, the grading optimistic as well....

8 hours ago, VickySilver said:

Indeed, the grading optimistic as well....

Yes indeed. Poor/vg is nearer to the mark.

18 hours ago, Iannich48 said:

The 1863 florin seems like an optimistic estimate. Vg/Nf £1250-£1500. I need one of these, bit i will not bid for this one. 

There was Mark Rasmussen's Unc at £14K but that's gone now.

For the bigger budget!

2 hours ago, oldcopper said:

There was Mark Rasmussen's Unc at £14K but that's gone now.

For the bigger budget!

Yes oldcopper, myself and vickysilver both loved that coin.

I had a GEF specimen at one time, and wife on leaving me took it - have not replaced it since...Boo hoo....

I did get a proof specimen but would readily trade it for the currency.

5 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Anyone agree with me that lot 1979 is Freeman 29 not 32 ?

Well, yes, now I look at it (which I hadn’t previously) it looks much more an F29. They haven’t done well with this batch of pennies, at least three are plain wrong or dubious in the extreme.

Jerry

I thought that to , it says all major details clear !!   Round top lighthouse - Prominent square rock under shield , I don't think so

Edited by terrysoldpennies