British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
1949threepence

September 2019 LCA catalogue now up

Very pleased to say my e mail bid was sufficient to secure Lot No 1969, the Freeman 8 mule. 

I attended the auction and never cease to be confused during the bidding. The auctioneer announces every lot in almost the same way, i.e. "Lot XXXX, YYY pounds is bid". He then looks round the room and, if no-one else bids, he brings the hammer down (by clicking his pen against a glass) and moves on. There is no way of telling whether the coin has sold because he NEVER says anything like "we'll have to pass on that one " or "Not sold". The only way of telling is to wait until the website is updated. For example, I was convinced that the 1863 die2 had sold for £2200 hammer but now I find it was unsold. Occasionally he might say "there are conflicting bids of blah blah" in which case we know that there have been bids. He gives the impression that bids have been received on every single lot which I find it hard to believe. I assume he announces a fictitious bid  around the reserve, hoping that it will attract a bid over the reserve ? Is this standard practice ?

Yikes, that doesn't sound good at all! Don't think that is standard practice other than for them....

17 minutes ago, secret santa said:

I attended the auction and never cease to be confused during the bidding. The auctioneer announces every lot in almost the same way, i.e. "Lot XXXX, YYY pounds is bid". He then looks round the room and, if no-one else bids, he brings the hammer down (by clicking his pen against a glass) and moves on. There is no way of telling whether the coin has sold because he NEVER says anything like "we'll have to pass on that one " or "Not sold". The only way of telling is to wait until the website is updated. For example, I was convinced that the 1863 die2 had sold for £2200 hammer but now I find it was unsold. Occasionally he might say "there are conflicting bids of blah blah" in which case we know that there have been bids. He gives the impression that bids have been received on every single lot which I find it hard to believe. I assume he announces a fictitious bid  around the reserve, hoping that it will attract a bid over the reserve ? Is this standard practice ?

Well it's not standard practice on the other auctions I've listened to online - the DNW ones for example, where it is abundantly clear what's going on. The auctioneer reads out the bids as they come in, and whether in the room, from the phone or over the internet bid. As soon as a few seconds, he'll say "last chance, fair warning", then bring the hammer down with "sold" and saying briefly where it's gone. You aren't left in any doubt. Same with Spink.

If no bid he starts at the lower reserve estimate or even below that if still no bid. Says something like "shall we start at?" or words to that effect. Or if there is a bid, maybe, "I've got an internet bid of £700".  

I really must attend one of these auctions in person at some point.

5 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Very pleased to say my e mail bid was sufficient to secure Lot No 1969, the Freeman 8 mule. 

Congratulations. Looks a decent example. :)

Out of idle curiosity, if you don't mind me asking, did you mysteriously get it for your maximum bid? :ph34r:

My email bid for the 1843 penny was not quite enough. DNW have one in their next auction, so fingers crossed for that one.

I was second bid on 1994 - the Freeman 76.

I'm glad I didn't attend, if reports (above) of how the auction is handled are true....

1 hour ago, mrbadexample said:

Congratulations. Looks a decent example. :)

Out of idle curiosity, if you don't mind me asking, did you mysteriously get it for your maximum bid? :ph34r:

No, I bid £1700 in the hopes that would top any other bid. I kind of knew nobody would go that high. Realistically, I think its level is about £1200 hammer. So that seems a fair price to pay (plus juice). They don't crop up very often, and I missed out once before. Also, the F8 is slightly scarcer than the F9. Hence that one went for less.

I know what you mean though, Jon. I once did bid for one at LCA that oddly went for the exact amount I bid for it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

I was second bid on 1994 - the Freeman 76.

Actually, Blake, I think you were the 3rd bidder. He started with a bid of £800 which I think was yours (postal) and then someone in the room put their hand up to take it to £850 and then a telephone bidder won it with £900. I don't know what your top bid was, but if it was £850, auctions do tend to take a room bid over an equal absentee bid.

18 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Well it's not standard practice on the other auctions I've listened to online - the DNW ones for example, where it is abundantly clear what's going on. The auctioneer reads out the bids as they come in, and whether in the room, from the phone or over the internet bid. As soon as a few seconds, he'll say "last chance, fair warning", then bring the hammer down with "sold" and saying briefly where it's gone. You aren't left in any doubt. Same with Spink.

If no bid he starts at the lower reserve estimate or even below that if still no bid. Says something like "shall we start at?" or words to that effect. Or if there is a bid, maybe, "I've got an internet bid of £700".  

I really must attend one of these auctions in person at some point.

LCA is outdated and living in the past, i’ve Not bidded with them for years due to the fact they can’t move into the 21st century with their auctions, it surprises me people consign with them because they could possibly get better prices for their coins from auctions that have an online bid facility.

27 minutes ago, azda said:

LCA is outdated and living in the past, i’ve Not bidded with them for years due to the fact they can’t move into the 21st century with their auctions, it surprises me people consign with them because they could possibly get better prices for their coins from auctions that have an online bid facility.

I agree they're far from ideal, but if they've got something I want then I'll run with it and hope for the best. 

They're only a 40 minutes drive for me which is quite convenient and I can get a good look at the coins.

12 hours ago, secret santa said:

Actually, Blake, I think you were the 3rd bidder. He started with a bid of £800 which I think was yours (postal) and then someone in the room put their hand up to take it to £850 and then a telephone bidder won it with £900. I don't know what your top bid was, but if it was £850, auctions do tend to take a room bid over an equal absentee bid.

Ah right- I was 850, but  an absentee.

Does this mean that If I had bid, say 851, then I have got second on the grid?

10 minutes ago, blakeyboy said:

Ah right- I was 850, but  an absentee.

Does this mean that If I had bid, say 851, then I have got second on the grid?

Not quite. "We reserve the right to round down bids that are less than 5% increment over our published bid steps. So bids such as £101 , £1,005, £10,010 may be rounded down to £100 £1,000 and £10,000 respectively"

Ah.. thanks for that.  If that clause didn't exist then the proceedings would be farcical!

13 hours ago, secret santa said:

Yes, saying "that clears my commission/book" or similar. (I must stop watching Bargain Hunt!).

Anybody else having an issue accessing LCA's website?

I'm getting a message saying "your connection is not private", which I cannot override. Tried 3 separate devices with 3 different wi fi sources. All the same. 

Same for me Mike, but I can override it. What browser are you using?

30 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

Same for me Mike, but I can override it. What browser are you using?

Windows 7 on my PC Jon, Android 8 on my tablet and phone.

This is a screenshot of the message I get on all 3 - how are you overriding?

non private connection.PNG

Click on the Advanced box, then at the bottom of the page there's a link to proceed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

Click on the Advanced box, then at the bottom of the page there's a link to proceed.

Brilliant. Thanks a lot Jon.

• Like 1