British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

oldcopper

Bad News on the Auction Front

Croydon Coin Auctions still charge only 5% BP I think.  Their sellers premium is  12% so that's half or less of the DNW mark up.  (24% + ?10%)

It's a shame really, coins around the £300 mark are costing £400 with postage, which puts a lot of reasonable but still common Saxon coins out of reach tbh. Vendor is only going to see £270 back on such a sale, so assuming they want most of their money back, £400 is only getting you a coin worth £270 a few years ago, which isn't a lot. Obviously over simplifying this, but I did see my 1c/1a E1 mule sell on here with coinery for probably only half what I paid through DNW (of course I got carried away 😅)

Let the dealers have em. No point whinging about this and then hitting the bid button.

Likewise they're running a business and and provide a good service and this is how it is. 

All in all... 🤷‍♂️ 

Edited by damian1986

6 hours ago, damian1986 said:

It's a shame really, coins around the £300 mark are costing £400 with postage, which puts a lot of reasonable but still common Saxon coins out of reach tbh. Vendor is only going to see £270 back on such a sale, so assuming they want most of their money back, £400 is only getting you a coin worth £270 a few years ago, which isn't a lot. Obviously over simplifying this, but I did see my 1c/1a E1 mule sell on here with coinery for probably only half what I paid through DNW (of course I got carried away 😅)

Let the dealers have em. No point whinging about this and then hitting the bid button.

Likewise they're running a business and and provide a good service and this is how it is. 

All in all... 🤷‍♂️ 

Well the dealers sell them on to us don't they? With another margin on top of course ...

2 hours ago, Paulus said:

Well the dealers sell them on to us don't they? With another margin on top of course ...

I meant sell to them in the first place 

The 24% (29% with the juice )  from DNW is either greed or to cover large overheads ... also I suspect there’s more pressure from sellers to get zero commission for selling so the auction house has to squeeze more profit from the buyer ... bad state of affairs 

24% does make me think twice on what I'll bid on, I wonder if buyers will be less inclined to bid up coins to higher end estimates, although I still think this increase has something to do with weaker sterling, Londoncoins next?

If working to a strict budget, just reduce your bids by 5% from what you would have gone prior to the increase. Alternatively, if the increase really bugs you - sit on your hands. Although we all have boxes that need ticking, when it comes to a hobby there isn't a single thing that can't wait for another day. If you really want it so badly, you are unlikely to be affected by the increase as it is only £50 per £1K, which is easily lost in a fit of frenzied bidding whatever the premium.

Thing is, if I saw some dream item, I'd pay the extra. But if it was something that I would quite like, but not that bothered about, the 29% overall addition would probably put me off.    

25 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Thing is, if I saw some dream item, I'd pay the extra. But if it was something that I would quite like, but not that bothered about, the 29% overall addition would probably put me off.    

As I said.

The makeup of the final price can be whatever you want. Only the total cost matters.

IMHO, most bidders don't fully take into account all the "extras" in fees, VAT, etc. when they bid and just suck it up as more expense.

2 minutes ago, VickySilver said:

IMHO, most bidders don't fully take into account all the "extras" in fees, VAT, etc. when they bid and just suck it up as more expense.

One thing I like about the DNW changes is that they are to have an actual cost calculator running as you bid.

Yea, that is good - kind of taken off of Heritage. thanks to them at least for that.