British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Cliff

Charles I Half crown ID

I have very little experience re half crown coins but think this recent 1634 - 35  acquisition is a S2773. I confess to being stuck when trying to allocate a more specific Bull designation but am leaning towards Bull 212b/28 - am I anywhere near?  I've tried to make allowances for some "double strike" evidences on the Rev but much of my dilemma hangs around me not being certain as to whether the Obv Bell if over a Portcullis or not!

1634 - 35 Charles I Obv.jpg

1634 - 35 Charles I Rev.jpg

Cleaned my specs and am relatively sober - am now seeing the portcullis - happy!  Apologies for any confusion I may have caused.

love the reverse

I've managed better pics showing the portcullis better (attached).  Have also been in contact with Maurice Bull who, initially confirmed, it might be the Bull 212b / 28, but rightfully "could not say for certain the mintmarks are Bell over portcullis without handling it". 

I tried for better pics, which Maurice kindly viewed and responds "Yes I'm now sure the bell is over something which can only be a portcullis. It's a nice round coin". 

Submitted as hammered Half crowns don't seem to get much mileage and to say thanks to Maurice for his patience with this novice!

WIN_20200413_10_55_29_Pro (2).jpg

WIN_20200413_10_55_29_Pro.jpg

WIN_20200413_10_57_14_Pro (2).jpg

I hope it's OK if I post mine for a comparison of mint mark. I love the S2773 and it is the very first hammer coin I brought. Rob very kindly told me at the time that he thought there is a trace of portcullis underneath the bell. Any more thoughts?

97098770_bell-Copy.thumb.JPG.d0bb63d9213d8f58d74fa91c98c09c71.JPG

Edited by Sword

I think Rob's original "trace of portcullis" sums it up.  Would be interested to see full size Obv/Rev shots. Bull's Vol II describes several 1634-35 Bell/Portcullis examples.

Very, VERY NICE, bet you're pleased with that Sword!  Bull 212b / 28 plate coin if I'm not mistaken?

• Thanks 1

Thanks. I am very pleased with it particularly as it is round and all struck up. I didn't realise it could the the Bull 212b / 28 plate coin. Would it be possible to post the images in Bull for a comparison? Would love to be able to establish some provenance. 

10 minutes ago, Sword said:

Thanks. I am very pleased with it particularly as it is round and all struck up. I didn't realise it could the the Bull 212b / 28 plate coin. Would it be possible to post the images in Bull for a comparison? Would love to be able to establish some provenance. 

J G Brooker 321, Rodney Smith (Lord Smith of Marlow) and H H Snellenburg. The latter is likely to have bought it during the 1950s, but could be one of many collections.

• Thanks 1

Having probs trying to transmit Bull page print within system allowed size.  Will 'switch on/off (sometime works) and keep on trying but maybe quicker if you let me have your email address?  Rob's provenance is same as shows on Bulls.

Cliff

• Thanks 1

Thanks very much gents! Really pleased to learn that the coin has some provenance. Cliff, I will send you my e-mail address by PM.

Sword.

Edited by Sword