British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Lee_GVI

Gothic Crown for sale on the Royal Mint website

My Spink CofE 2016 catalogs an 1847 Gothic crown at EF GBP 3000. I guess it's overpriced but still a nice coins with a few minor edge knocks.

I bet the one you get isn't the one in the pics

I think so as well.

They are doing the draw tonight live on YT for the 1819 Sovereign. Link here 

072FC191-83AC-4166-B1DD-4F3E94B4B47E.jpeg

Edited by azda

6 hours ago, Lee_GVI said:

https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/ranges/historic-coins/victoria-and-the-victorian-era/victoria-gothic-crown-1847/

I did not expect this coin to appear on the Royal Mint website. It's still probably overpriced like the majority of their stuff though.

They have teamed up with sovereign rarities, somehow something doesn’t feel right about the RM becoming a mint and coin dealer at the same time, this cuts out the middleman.

Surprisingly for the RM this doesn’t seem too far off the right price .. nice coin.

But I agree , the relationship between them and Sovereign rareties doesn’t sit right at all 

There's observable wear on the hair and lions, and it may be artificially toned and/or rubbed in front of the Queen's face. So it's not perfect and £5K seems quite a high price.

It's a bit of a cop out for the RM not to even assign a grade if they're expecting someone to cough up 5K.

1 hour ago, azda said:

They have teamed up with sovereign rarities, somehow something doesn’t feel right about the RM becoming a mint and coin dealer at the same time, this cuts out the middleman.

They did not cut out the middleman they become the middleman themselves, a very expensive one as well.

Edited by Lee_GVI

Just now, Lee_GVI said:

They did not cut out the middleman they become the middleman themselves, a very expensive one as well.

That is what i’m referring to, this is the obvious reason they bought into sovereign rarities. Strangling the collector for even more money. SR are also expensive 

• Like 1

SR and RM ( who really until this link up are just a marketing company ) are both at the top end of expensive .. so combined it will be doubly expensive ... 

• Haha 2

On the Gothic Crown, why so many edge knocks?  I'd find a nicer one than that for that kind of money.

JMO. 

"and it remains one of the most beautiful and rarest coins in the world."

Many collectors would consider that statement a misrepresentation. 

5 hours ago, Colin88 said:

SR and RM ( who really until this link up are just a marketing company ) are both at the top end of expensive .. so combined it will be doubly expensive ... 

"Piedfort" commission 🙂 

Higher or lower grade?

AU55

29 minutes ago, rpeddie said:

Higher or lower grade?

AU55

Interesting - the example shown on the RM website appears to be Heritage LOT #31238.

The RM didn't team up with SR......but Marleybob.

• Haha 3

I added one to basket and the RM will add  a Peter Rabbit BU 50p free of charge. Don’t all rush at once.

• Haha 2

Anyone think its a conflict of interest when a company that makes coins also makes money from selling them !

Not really a conflict of interest .. it’s just that the 2 most expensive coin companies have teamed up together .. although personally I always referred to the RM as a marketing company not a coin company.

I also have to exclude Westminster, London , Harrington and Byrne and Coincraft who are also  on the strong side of pricing but must have a customer base happy to pay as they are still going strong.

So who’s to say who’s right or wrong particularly if it ultimately gives pleasure to the buyer? 

On 7/14/2019 at 5:03 AM, copper123 said:

Anyone think its a conflict of interest when a company that makes coins also makes money from selling them !

Huh? 

Doesn't every business that makes things also make money from selling those things?  Isn't that the definition of a business?  Provide a service (or item) and get paid for it?  If they didn't make money, why would they continue to make things?

🤔

• Like 2

Would it bother you if the US Mint were to begin trading in the classics, buying and selling in competition with other dealers? I guess we could make all the National Mints participate in the primary and secondary markets, manipulate it as they please with the backing of their governments. I would rather them stick to their own business of minting coins, and go ahead and make their monies from that enterprise.

• Like 2

Diversification in readiness for a cashless society. They will have some good stock to peddle.

On 14 July 2019 at 11:32 AM, Colin88 said:

So who’s to say who’s right or wrong particularly if it ultimately gives pleasure to the buyer? 

Pleasure to the buyer may be followed at some unspecified point by huge disappointment when what they thought was also an investment produces a big loss. So I would suggest that "rip off" is wrong.

On 7/15/2019 at 2:52 PM, VickySilver said:

Would it bother you if the US Mint were to begin trading in the classics, buying and selling in competition with other dealers? I guess we could make all the National Mints participate in the primary and secondary markets, manipulate it as they please with the backing of their governments. I would rather them stick to their own business of minting coins, and go ahead and make their monies from that enterprise.

Why would it bother me?  No one is being forced to buy this garbage at inflated prices.