British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
1949threepence

Mobile banking apps - what's the big deal?

Like many people these days, I use internet banking, mainly from my desktop. For the most part, I've had no problem with it, and have found it an extremely useful and convenient resource.

Recently my own bank has been pushing for me to download their mobile banking app, apparently in readiness for when the additional security measures are introduced in September this year. That is explained here and is a whole other discussion in and of itself, in terms of inconvenience/annoyance to the customer.

But as for the mobile app, I decided to give it a go - thinking, well you never know, it might offer a wider scope of operation in some way. But I'm afraid it was a disappointment. It actually doesn't do anything that can't already be achieved employing ordinary internet banking, and what's more, I found I still didn't need the mobile app when using mobile devices such as a tablet or smartphone. Was still able to, for example, transfer money using a smartphone and accessing internet banking via a google search for the bank's website, in the usual way.

As for the new security measures, nowhere do they explain why the app will help in navigating them. From what I can make out, it would seem that for a much larger percentage of on line purchases than at present (42% compared to 2%), the additional security measures will be needed, typically consisting of a unique 6 digit reference being texted to your smartphone, which you then insert onto the relevant part of the screen in the website you're trying to make the purchase from. Still can't see how the app makes it any better.

Of course it's tough if you don't have a mobile, or, possibly even more pertinently, if the text is delayed getting through, as often happens.         

Sadly, I have to locate, and put on, reading glasses to operate a mobile phone. This trend to do more and more with one's mobile phone drives me to distraction. I don't normally carry reading glasses around with me but soon I'll have to have them grafted to my face.

6 hours ago, secret santa said:

Sadly, I have to locate, and put on, reading glasses to operate a mobile phone. This trend to do more and more with one's mobile phone drives me to distraction. I don't normally carry reading glasses around with me but soon I'll have to have them grafted to my face.

It's this kind of inconvenience they don't take account of before deciding to push ahead with these mostly unnecessary initiatives. 

Much as the banks doing away with terrestrial and installing more ATM's, and then charging you for using them...

Or retsil shops with self checkout, where they save on payroll, you get less service, and you still pay the same prices. ...

In the same category as those businesses that tell you the information is on the Internet. Not everyone has a computer or is computer savvy.

My dad is 98, my mom is 94, neither knows how to use a computer nor cell phone....   I  sometimes find it overwhelming when they ask me for information about a company or potential purchase.  They think you can browse online like a print catalog.  I'll acknowledge that it is a but easier on an actual computer, if you can open multiple pages, but on a cellphone or tablet, especially in an app, you can't do that.

Another peeve is one relating to those businesses that ONLY have a Facebook presence...  I do not have access to them, inasmuch as I am not on Facebook. ...

Just venting....

• Like 2

I couldn't search for anything in You Tube on my iPad. I had to download their wretched app before it would work. :angry:

33 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

I couldn't search for anything in You Tube on my iPad. I had to download their wretched app before it would work. :angry:

Restrictions like that are why I always use Android devices. 

23 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Restrictions like that are why I always use Android devices. 

It wasn't Apple - You Tube obviously changed something in their browser operation that forced an app download instead.