British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
freewheels

1844 6 over 8 in date.

Hi There,

I recently came across this shilling with a clear over-date. I'm calling it 6 over 8 because it looks to me like the 8 is struck over the 6.

It is obviously not in the best of conditions and has the clear obverse strike-through on the reverse.

Unfortunately, I tried to rotate but still comes across upside down.

Curious if anyone has ever met one of these...

Michael.

IMG_0196.jpg

Edited by freewheels
typo

2 hours ago, freewheels said:

I recently came across this shilling with a clear over-date. I'm calling it 6 over 8 because it looks to me like the 8 is struck over the 6.

It is obviously not in the best of conditions and has the clear obverse strike-through on the reverse.

Unfortunately, I tried to rotate but still comes across upside down.

Pictures upload as they are on your computer.

Yes, it does look like an overdate though hard to see upside down.

"I'm calling it 6 over 8 because it looks to me like the 8 is struck over the 6." Illogical, Jim.

¡pɹɐɥɔᴉɹ ǝuo ǝɔᴉN

• Haha 2

Could be die fill - just a thought.

If a 6 is involved, it is more likely to be as a result of an attempted repair to a blocked character, as from the 1816 coinage until around the time of the mint refurbishment in the early 1880s, the last two digits only were added by hand, 18 only being on the master. This point is mentioned with reference to shillings in ESC 5th ed. p.135, footnote 1.

Examples of unfinished dies are known elsewhere, e.g. the 18 copper penny in Baldwin's sale 44, lot 417.

Hockings Royal Mint Catalogues Vol 1 and 2 have entries for dies and matrices for early and late Victorian coinage having just the first two digits as Rob says 18__

not convinced sorry