British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
damian1986

1799 farthing - double-punched obverse lettering?

Just wondering if one of you kind people can explain what's happened here?

A second punch to working dies? Why the broken 1 in the date?

c-brit-1799-farthing-p1279.thumb.jpg.040ee57fc8589f58f4c4d892be97fd33.jpg

Edited by damian1986

The letter profile is too similar for it to be a repunched/repaired die. If double struck I would expect to see the same on the border teeth, or anywhere else for that matter. The lighting is a bit misleading, so do the teeth show the same displacement? If not, then it suggests it was on the die as made.

42 minutes ago, Rob said:

The letter profile is too similar for it to be a repunched/repaired die. If double struck I would expect to see the same on the border teeth, or anywhere else for that matter. The lighting is a bit misleading, so do the teeth show the same displacement? If not, then it suggests it was on the die as made.

Thanks Rob it's hard to say - I would say no, except around the 1 in the date there's a case for a displaced tooth but with the coin in hand I'm still not really sure.

The "double striking" is only really clear in  1 GEORGEIUS III DEI running clockwise from the 1 to the I in DEI. 

The portrait shows no signs of double striking which is why I initially considered to not be double struck.