British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Colin88

1937 Edward VIII Penny in Auction

Looks like Spink have got a 1937 Edward VIII penny going into their September Auction ....

1 hour ago, Colin88 said:

Looks like Spink have got a 1937 Edward VIII penny going into their September Auction ....

Chequebooks at the ready

• Like 1

Hazard a guess as to price reached?  I would have to guess that despite the results of the 1952 penny that this may go 200k??

2 hours ago, Colin88 said:

Is this inside knowledge ? can't find it on their auction website.

No inside knowledge it’s advertised in their catalogue I got this morning for their Isladulcie Collection of Hammered Gold Coins.. 

There was a time when I might have had a punt in it but not now ! 

17 hours ago, secret santa said:

Hopefully not - there's at least half a dozen of these.

But it's a unique type coin......

14 hours ago, Colin88 said:

No inside knowledge it’s advertised in their catalogue I got this morning for their Isladulcie Collection of Hammered Gold Coins.. 

There was a time when I might have had a punt in it but not now ! 

I got the catalogue yesterday, Spink are always sending me catalogues that are nothing to do with my area. Still, a nice looking catalogue, well put together. It's a shame there's no biographical info about the vendor (hello Isla?!) which there usually is for single vendor catalogues. Mostly bought 2005-2008 so not that old a collection.

Interesting historical details given for many coins and the contemporary background, makes the catalogue much more interesting to peruse. Only the odd blunder (eg …. the mint "was cited at the Tower of London", I think they meant "sited"!

1 minute ago, secret santa said:

It's example 1 of 8 on my rare penny site.

I mean it's the only specific coin type that's an Ed VIII penny. Whereas even I have got some George VI pennies (yes, more than one!).

Sorry, I wasn't correcting/commenting on your statement - merely pointing out where people could get a better view.

R

3 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Sorry, I wasn't correcting/commenting on your statement - merely pointing out where people could get a better view.

R

No, my apologies, I'm not known as paranoid Pete for nothing!

Anyway, it doesn't look like Mark Rasmussen's (he's monopolising these rare pennies!) from his List 9 (£35,000)

c105.jpg

23 minutes ago, secret santa said:

R

Wow, I've just checked out your website for the Edward VIII's - fantastic. The coin is No. 1, provenance unknown. Hopefully Spink will give more details when the catalogue is published.

3 hours ago, oldcopper said:

I got the catalogue yesterday, Spink are always sending me catalogues that are nothing to do with my area. Still, a nice looking catalogue, well put together. It's a shame there's no biographical info about the vendor (hello Isla?!) which there usually is for single vendor catalogues. Mostly bought 2005-2008 so not that old a collection.

Interesting historical details given for many coins and the contemporary background, makes the catalogue much more interesting to peruse. Only the odd blunder (eg …. the mint "was cited at the Tower of London", I think they meant "sited"!

Tut tut, what next, much "sort" after coin? :ph34r: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/21/2019 at 9:41 AM, oldcopper said:

Wow, I've just checked out your website for the Edward VIII's - fantastic. The coin is No. 1, provenance unknown. Hopefully Spink will give more details when the catalogue is published.

I don't think they will, I know the chap who is selling it and he is a very private individual. I am virtually certain it is the Mark Rasmussen one because you will also see the 1808 penny is for sale in that collection also in September.

• Like 1

Dont buy those edward the eighth pennies from china

Edited by copper123

On 7/2/2019 at 1:04 PM, NRP said:

I don't think they will, I know the chap who is selling it and he is a very private individual. I am virtually certain it is the Mark Rasmussen one because you will also see the 1808 penny is for sale in that collection also in September.

I'm sure the the 37 Edward VIII and 1808 would do well at Spink , although peronsally if they were mine I would get them slabbed and put them into Heritage....I feel that they would do better in the US with the Investor / Collector type out there ...just my opinion.     

• Like 1

interested to see whether the 1808 will bring more than it made the last time it was sold 

5 hours ago, rpeddie said:

interested to see whether the 1808 will bring more than it made the last time it was sold 

Mark Rasmussen had the 1808 for sale for £130,000.

Before that  it was in Hopetown House Spink Auction 68 (1989) where it went for £8,600 hammer, a big drop from its previous appearance in Spink Numismatic Circular September 1985, where it was on offer for £15,000.

It was described as dark toned in the 1985 SNC, so it had presumably  by then lost it's "red mint state" appearance referred to by Peck.

I'd love the opportunity to stick that in an electron microscope.

On 6/21/2019 at 9:10 AM, oldcopper said:

Glad you enjoyed the read. Drop my a line so we can get the catalogue details right for you. I am updating an awful lot of things as we speak!