British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Hawkins

Car boot sales/markets in West Wales

Hello all,

I hope you will forgive my blatantly low post count (I think I made a solitary post years ago) - I don't contribute much, but nonetheless I immensely enjoy reading these forums, not least drooling over the pictures of coins my budget would never allow me to own.

In a couple of weeks my family and I are coming over from Denmark for our holiday in Wales (Aberporth/Cardigan area), and I was wondering if anyone could recommend any places within reasonable driving distance where one might find some interesting markets or car boot sales  - preferably with coin sellers, but not a must as the rest of the family couldn't care less about coins...

When we visited a couple of years ago we went to the Cardigan Guildhall Market and also drove down to the Carmarthen Market, plus we found a car boot sale not far outside Aberporth.

Any other interesting places we should check out? The dates in question are July 7th to 19th.

Just enjoy the country side and leave your horned helmet at home.....Wales well we are still able to shoot the feckers....head to mumbles for a bit of a do....I still scratch.

• Like 1

I can't help you much with Wales but I am sure you will find some. If you ever do the South West of England I can help you with lots of suggestions.

Don't hope for much from any carboots sale I just find pocket holiday change .

Thanks fellas.

Last time we came over I did find a seller at a car boot sale who had a huge box of mixed coins for 10p a piece, where I managed to pick out a handful of interesting world coins.

I also went on the tour at the Royal Mint which was a decent enough experience, not sure I'll find time for the drive down again this time though. Hopefully we'll be able to locate a few other markets. And I'll leave any horned helmets at home - the vikings didn't actually wear those anyway.

Just noticed that there's a Midland Coin Fair going on near Birmingham while we're over - considering if this might be worth the almost 4 hour drive...

If you want to buy qaulity coins then yes it's worth the drive. A few of the dealers also have trays with £1 to £2 type coins available. It depends on what your after and the budget you have in play.

10 hours ago, Hawkins said:

Just noticed that there's a Midland Coin Fair going on near Birmingham while we're over - considering if this might be worth the almost 4 hour drive...

The best for many miles. A worthy rival to York and London.

It is easy to find as the Motor-Cycle Museum is accessed off the roundabout at the motorway junction. Be there on time as dealers drift away after 2 o'clock because most of the buyers have finished looking.

If you had a shopping list, it might be possible to find some things in advance and take them along. Doors open at 9:30, but with 40-50 tables, there won't be enough time to thoroughly examine what is on offer on every table.

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

I don't have the budget for 'high quality coins' unfortunately, so I'd probably be looking for cheaper/common coins. I'm the dreaded type of collector who can't restrict themselves to a certain country/ruler/denomination so I pretty much collect any circulation coins I like the look of. I do have a thing for larger silver coins, half crowns, crowns etc., so contrary to many people's advice I have to settle for lower grades than EF a lot of time, although I of course buy the best grades I feel I can afford.

With a 4 hour drive I probably wouldn't be able to be there before 11 and I could probably spend the whole day just looking at the coins (the local "fair" which is held once a year in collaboration with the local stamp collecting club only features around 5 tables of coins, although I did go to the Copenhagen Coin Fair last year with around 30-40 tables)!

I don't have a shopping list per se, I usually have a look around and see if there's anything I like, but I might be looking to get my hands on something early milled like a 1787 sixpence or shilling at an acceptable price/grade. Or whatever I find! 🙂

50 minutes ago, Hawkins said:

I might be looking to get my hands on something early milled like a 1787 sixpence or shilling at an acceptable price/grade. Or whatever I find! 🙂

Ah. That's a unique type using advanced minting techniques for its time. I'd say neither early milled nor machine age, but a one-off somewhere between the two.

2 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

Ah. That's a unique type using advanced minting techniques for its time. I'd say neither early milled nor machine age, but a one-off somewhere between the two.

Cheers - I learn something every day on here 😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hawkins said:

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

I don't have the budget for 'high quality coins' unfortunately, so I'd probably be looking for cheaper/common coins. I'm the dreaded type of collector who can't restrict themselves to a certain country/ruler/denomination so I pretty much collect any circulation coins I like the look of. I do have a thing for larger silver coins, half crowns, crowns etc., so contrary to many people's advice I have to settle for lower grades than EF a lot of time, although I of course buy the best grades I feel I can afford.

With a 4 hour drive I probably wouldn't be able to be there before 11 and I could probably spend the whole day just looking at the coins (the local "fair" which is held once a year in collaboration with the local stamp collecting club only features around 5 tables of coins, although I did go to the Copenhagen Coin Fair last year with around 30-40 tables)!

I don't have a shopping list per se, I usually have a look around and see if there's anything I like, but I might be looking to get my hands on something early milled like a 1787 sixpence or shilling at an acceptable price/grade. Or whatever I find! 🙂

I get plenty of people buying cheap or lower grade items, from washers to things that are practically as struck, so you shouldn't let that put you off. Aim for as early as possible though for the reasons outlined before. I would guess there would be 25-30 dealers with appropriate stock based on what you wrote. Whatever, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

FWIW, I'm on table 43, on the left hand end of the island facing as you go in.

17 hours ago, Rob said:

I get plenty of people buying cheap or lower grade items, from washers to things that are practically as struck, so you shouldn't let that put you off. Aim for as early as possible though for the reasons outlined before. I would guess there would be 25-30 dealers with appropriate stock based on what you wrote. Whatever, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

FWIW, I'm on table 43, on the left hand end of the island facing as you go in.

Thanks Rob, I'll make sure to stop by your table if I make it there 🙂