British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
blakeyboy

Is it just me? .....grrr...

If one more person with clearly limited intelligence  or ambition calls themselves a  'Barista', I will scream....

Do they know how much they really should know about their trade, yet clearly don't?

Dunning-Kruger effect again?

Maybe they think they are a Barrister.

Pretty soon everyone who pours you a glass wine will call themselves a 'Sommelier'....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

If one more person with clearly limited intelligence  or ambition calls themselves a  'Barista', I will scream....

Do they know how much they really should know about their trade, yet clearly don't?

Dunning-Kruger effect again?

Maybe they think they are a Barrister.

Pretty soon everyone who pours you a glass wine will call themselves a 'Sommelier'....

No it's not just you. I wasn't even aware of the term until somebody at work was reading from a menu of some description, and said "your latte will be served by a barista (except she pronounced it as "barrister") leading me to wonder what the hell a barrister was doing serving coffee.

I think next time I visit Starbucks, I'll just snap my fingers and shout "waiter", when I want service. Barista just sounds pretentious.   

• Haha 5

And should a frugal restaurant decide to combine the functions you may find yourself being served by their 'Smellier Barrister'

• Haha 2

I guess "barista" is somewhat pretentious. But then charging £3 or more for a cup of coffee is also a little pretentious and some places use the term to "justify" their prices.

It's easy to see why coffee lovers willing to pay higher prices would object to under-trained people giving themselves that title. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sword said:

I guess "barista" is somewhat pretentious. But then charging £3 or more for a cup of coffee is also a little pretentious and some places use the term to "justify" their prices.

It's easy to see why coffee lovers willing to pay higher prices would object to under-trained people giving themselves that title. 

'£3 or more'  ???....you haven't been in London lately....it's ridiculous.

No- one EVER sells me a coffee that 'hits the spot' like one of my coffees do, and they cost 10p each....

Maybe we could do with state mandated coffee prices like in Italy...I enjoy my €0.80 espressos...less so at £5 as charged in London nowdays

• Haha 1

Isn't QUALITY 'INVERSELY PROPORTIONAL' to the PRICE??

Edited by Bronze & Copper Collector

6 minutes ago, Bronze & Copper Collector said:

Isn't QUALITY 'INVERSELY PROPORTIONAL' to the PRICE??

Definitely not.

People on ebay want to get everything for a quid, so the market obliges and provides them with s**t. Pay more and you would expect to receive, and in many instances would receive, better quality.

21 minutes ago, Rob said:

Definitely not.

People on ebay want to get everything for a quid, so the market obliges and provides them with s**t. Pay more and you would expect to receive, and in many instances would receive, better quality.

Sorry Rob, my comment was made "Tongue in cheek" inasmuch as so much merchandise  (of all sorts) seems to have higher prices and inferior quality. As one gets older, nothing seems as it was. "What we had when we were younger, was always better made and less expensive."

Agreed with your assessment of Fleabay.

And I know the forum members, especially regarding coins, know that to get true quality, you have to pay more.

Edited by Bronze & Copper Collector

If you want to upset cofee sellers refer to them as illegal immigrants  rather that baristas