British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

1949threepence

The Spink "e" auction commencing 12.6.19 - access issue

Today's auction is still not open and highly likely not to, I'd imagine.

50 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Today's auction is still not open and highly likely not to, I'd imagine.

According to Spink (phone this morning) everything goes live 3 pm today. Fingers crossed. 

2 hours ago, JLS said:

According to Spink (phone this morning) everything goes live 3 pm today. Fingers crossed. 

Thanks for enquiring. Yes, I note that the start time has been changed to 16.00 today, so 4pm. We will see. 

now up at 16.30

Somebody's 'avin a larf at our expense. 

18.00 now - what on earth can be going on in Spink ? How can we take them seriously any more ?

9 minutes ago, secret santa said:

18.00 now - what on earth can be going on in Spink ? How can we take them seriously any more ?

Reading between the lines, they obviously can't get their act together and are having technical issues which should have been resolved weeks ago.

This kid of thing truly irritates customers, especially when there's no attempt at an explanation and/or apology.

Well, slight progress. It's no longer greyed out but the message when you click on it is this:-

There are no lots available at this time.
Please check back later.

yes , even if I think it is just due to the fact that bidding now is "open" ..

Hallelujah !!! - although there's nothing of interest to me personally. Mostly gold and foreign.

1934 Crown in there though, with a £2 to £3k estimate. 

does anyone know whether this is now how Spink will be doing their auctions (with the exception of maybe one or two a year if they get good consignments) ?

Edited by mhcoins

Spink USA & in this country almost appear to be separate and unrelated businesses based on previous experience. e.g. Until recently they didn't advise UK customers of US sales, which doesn't make sense if you have a common customer database. I don't think there is a great deal of crossover of material, and don't see any prospect of them rolling out this format as normal for the UK.

I think there is enough material around for the present auction arrangements to continue.

My confidence falls further - lot 179 described as 1772 Halfpenny, picture of two 1799 halfpennies...

Edited by Paddy
Typo
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Paddy said:

My confidence falls further - lot 179 described as 1772 Halfpenny, picture of two 1799 halfpennies...

For such a large concern as Spink, that's unbelievably careless. 

Just discovered this one is in London. I thought it was going to be in NY like the one a month ago. So now I had a notification of a sale in NY, but not this month in London. :wacko:

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

The lot is 3 coins. The 1772 isn't illustrated, but the second and third coins are.

I agree with all of the nonsense above, but at last had a look....

Lot 195 is an 1839 Half Crown, evidently currency & a bit mishandled to be sure - but quite a rare bit. Wonder what it will fetch?I already have a decent specimen so not for me.

They have it wrong in that the finest specimen we are aware of is the ex-Glens 2000 auction specimen now slabbed as the PCGS 64 example on their census..

Edited by VickySilver

I've just been trying to get back into the auction to see how it is progressing - every link I can find, including starting from scratch via Google times out without getting to any part of their website.

If I wrote it down correctly the coin lots finish tomorrow? There were a couple I might have bid on if they had stayed cheap enough, but looks like that is out now.

Seems to be back now - must have been a temporary glitch.

Yup not one of our finest hours this programme, but if any of you reviewed the Esseight collection, you may appreciate why the rest was not to a more efficient standard.