British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paddy

BBC article on least valuable British coins

Interesting discussion here on the lowest buying power of any British coin in circulation:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-48153442

They start their measure from Queen Anne's reign and the farthing, which is a little odd as the only farthing made in that reign I understood was only really a pattern?

Also, they make no mention of the third and quarter farthing coins, which I suppose is more reasonable as these coins were really intended for colonial use, although legal tender in the UK as I understand it.

No farthing collector worth his salt omits an Anne in his collection.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Peter said:

No farthing collector worth his salt omits an Anne in his collection.

I agree - I do not doubt the collectability of the 1714 farthing, just that, as it was not really in circulation, it seems odd to quote its value in this discussion. But I do not really expect a BBC reporter to be much interested in such finer points. I was more interested in the article - and the graphs in particular.

Probably worth noting though that during the late 17th  - early 18th century I believe there was a fair bit of circulation of Dutch copper coinage in the South of England given that the farthing was a bit impractical as the smallest denomination - I think this started during the tin coinage. 

Very timely, gents. Thanks.
I've just finished cataloguing and valuing a lot of lots of coins for our local auction house and this made me check the Queen Anne farthing again. Turns out it's a counterfeit 1711 sixpence. Ooops!
As mentioned by JLS there seems to have been a lot of continental hammered copper about in the late 17th. Nuremberg Jettons, Dutch Duits, etc.

There were farthings circulateing in Queen Anne's time they were both Charles II and William III and william and mary farthings of 1694.

While anne farthings were not ment  to circulate a few did, mostly dated 1714  just like the william and mary metalets often found very worn  from that era.

I dont think the quarter farthing was ever legal tender in the uk , but the half farthing certainly was if only for a few years.

On 6/2/2019 at 2:48 PM, Fubar said:

Very timely, gents. Thanks.
I've just finished cataloguing and valuing a lot of lots of coins for our local auction house and this made me check the Queen Anne farthing again. Turns out it's a counterfeit 1711 sixpence. Ooops!
As mentioned by JLS there seems to have been a lot of continental hammered copper about in the late 17th. Nuremberg Jettons, Dutch Duits, etc.

Should have been easy to spot no anne patterns for 1711 are known

• Like 1

Blind leading the blind. I've learned to check both sides now. 🙄

I just got lumbered with the job. In which case there may be a few bargains available. 😎

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fubar said:

Blind leading the blind. I've learned to check both sides now. 🙄

I just got lumbered with the job. In which case there may be a few bargains available. 😎

A cheap freeman 530 would be great for me or a vf mule farthing

On 6/7/2019 at 12:42 PM, copper123 said:

A cheap freeman 530 would be great for me or a vf mule farthing

Not much that late I'm afraid. Mostly hammered.

The sale is on Friday 21st June at Spicers in Driffield (used to be Dee, Atkinson & Harrison) and live on The Saleroom -
https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/spicers-auctioneers/catalogue-id-srde10108

Catalogue should be on there some time towards Friday next week. A mixed sale of collectors items and general household. Always ask for a condition report if interested in anything.