British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
JLS

George Washington North Wales halfpenny - 4 "sixfoil" type

I have finally acquired a 4 rosette reverse type of the George Washington North Wales halfpenny - the first one I have ever had the opportunity to buy. A good description of this token can be found here. Sadly not a particularly pretty piece, especially with the obverse die flaws. 

According to what I've read the reverse "sixfoils" have six leaves on this type just as on the more common two sixfoil variety. On mine they appear to have five leaves Does anyone have a good quality photo of this type or an auction catalog reference ? Wondering if there was a third reverse die. 

848060236_Washington1.JPG.14cf010d5841c39141e33a55abc97966.JPGwashington2.JPG.dd0063a20a143295261cfaec4b195b75.JPG

• Like 1

link

price

Edited by rpeddie

45 minutes ago, rpeddie said:

Wow at the Sheldon scale pricing. 

My example looks better than that Fine 15. Is this seriously a £5000+ token ? I paid three figures for it and knew I was getting a bargain but I assumed it was worth £500 or so. 

looks to be, the 4 star variety is the rare type, maybe the seller confused this for the 2 star variety when looking at prices. 

Note yours also has the die characteristics of the one used for the main PCGS picture, i would rate yours around the F12/15 mark

Just now, rpeddie said:

looks to be, the 4 star variety is the rare type, maybe the seller confused this for the 2 star variety when looking at prices. 

Note yours also has the die characteristics of the one used for the main PCGS picture, i would rate yours around the F12/15 mark

Yeah, that's what happened. I bought it as the regular type, and knew this one was rare !

But as a rather generalist collector of  18th century tokens I'd never bothered looking at the price lists for the variety - didn't account for the American market :D

Think I'll be consigning this to Baldwins...

Regarding the grading I'll take your word for it - thought I might be a touch better given the clearer legend, but I think the net grade is probably around there given the planchet chip and the rather subpar eye appeal. 

possibly cleaning at some point too as seen by some excessive redness around the high point, fedinately get it graded before putting it for sale, i would recommend a USA auction house as this would achieve a better price