British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
damian1986

1848 1d - R over B in REG ?

I only just noticed this but I'm thinking R over B in REG - any thoughts?

At a glance, I can't find any references to other examples where this is clear / anyone cared enough to note it 

Edit: this would be a result of repunching of the R to working dies? 

c-brit-1848-penny-bmc1496.jpg

roverb.jpg

Edited by damian1986
  • Like 2

looks quite convincing to me

I have looked at many similar over the years with Michael Gouby, and we have drawn the same conclusion.

The loop at the top of the B is very much smaller than that of the R , in all cases the B/R has been a recut R over R

I'll add this to my varieties website - does it only occur on 1848 (without overdate) ?

Thanks for the responses. 

Maybe I was a bit biased towards wanting it to be a B (since then someone made a mistake!) but R/R probably makes more sense.

Richard feel free to use what's there, if you need any other images let me know. Couldn't say if this happens anywhere else in the series but presumably it has. 

16 hours ago, damian1986 said:

Richard feel free to use what's there, if you need any other images let me know.

Damian, I've added the details to my website - if you'd like to be credited with the pictures, let me know (with your full name or a pseudonym)

R

• Like 1