British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Lee_GVI

Recently acquired 1937 Crown.

New member here! Here is my recent acquisition 1937 Crown, paid around 34 CAD (20 quid) for this piece.

1937 Crown Complete-ccfopt.jpg

Edited by Lee_GVI
  • Like 2

Nice coin. You might like to look for an Australian 1937 crown which is sterling silver. Of course Canadian silver dollars are always desirable coins.

46 minutes ago, ozjohn said:

Nice coin. You might like to look for an Australian 1937 crown which is sterling silver. Of course Canadian silver dollars are always desirable coins.

I do have an Australian 1937 Crown but I prefer the design on the British Crown. As for Canadian silver dollars, are they popular in the UK?

I don't know about Canadian silver dollars in the UK but I've managed to buy a few over the years here in Australia.

How much do they cost there? Just curious?

Nice tone. Good purchase. :)

• Like 1

I'm no expert on Canadian silver dollars but I would think the bullion price plus a premium would be a significant part of the price.. I do remember seeing a very nice 1930s George V silver dollar being sold for about $AU 50. As an aside Colonial Coins & Medals, Brisbane had some slabbed Canadian gold ten dollar coins.

Edited by ozjohn
typo

Interesting, never knew they carried such a premium outside of Canada.

That looks to be a rather exceptional currency piece that probably would have been a good buy at 3x the price 

2 hours ago, VickySilver said:

That looks to be a rather exceptional currency piece that probably would have been a good buy at 3x the price 

I plan to get this coin graded, do you think it's worth it?

Worth about £30 + IMHO

No on the grading unless you are just curious.  About 40 USD per coin. 

Let me know when like quality shows up at 30 quid, I’m a buyer. These come with unfortunate bag marks on almost all occasions. 

The grading will cost as much as the coin is worth...ie don't

Edited by Peter

2 hours ago, VickySilver said:

Let me know when like quality shows up at 30 quid, I’m a buyer. These come with unfortunate bag marks on almost all occasions. 

Agreed on the bagmarks - I like the coin posted here but the marks on the rim are a distraction to me - also is that a little bit of wear on George's cheek ? Still well worth the money paid. 

18 hours ago, VickySilver said:

Sorry to be pedantic, but there weren't any currency 1937 crowns - they were all commemorative.

Okay, funny. These were issued to circulation, and am trying to figure out the commemoration? None is expressed and was simply the first year of reign, not so indicated that I can see. Other than mild abrasion, it is actually quite nice. I don't see major rim issues and the "ding" at 8 o'clock on the obverse on blowup looks to be ??plastic or some such on the coin.

418,000 odd minted and 26,000 proofs....more than enough for every coinie to have 1 ( I have 3 )  Why ????? ....I don't ever look at them.

Just for the record Australia minted 1937 and 1937 crowns which proved unpopular as they wore holes in people's pockets so the story goes. 

On 5/27/2019 at 10:54 PM, Peckris 2 said:

Sorry to be pedantic, but there weren't any currency 1937 crowns - they were all commemorative.

Does not mean they were not produced alongside other currency issues .

Remember at the time a commemorative issue was being produced every 25 years

Edited by copper123

No, not specifically a commemorative.

On 27 May 2019 at 11:53 PM, VickySilver said:

Okay, funny. These were issued to circulation, and am trying to figure out the commemoration? None is expressed and was simply the first year of reign, not so indicated that I can see. Other than mild abrasion, it is actually quite nice. I don't see major rim issues and the "ding" at 8 o'clock on the obverse on blowup looks to be ??plastic or some such on the coin.

Yes, commemorative as in "first year of reign". Crowns were not produced for general currency purposes after 1901 (some might argue for the 1902) and were either issued as specimen proofs (1927), in response to 'coinie enthusiasm' (wreaths), commemorating a jubilee (1935) or special event (1951, 1960, 1965), or commemorating the first year of a reign (1937, 1953).

14 hours ago, copper123 said:

Does not mean they were not produced alongside other currency issues .

Sorry, I don't understand your point? 

Technically that would not be correct, and as I said, other than being struck in the first year of the reign there is NO indication of it being a commemorative but rather a physical demonstration of the right to strike coinage. If we were referring to the 1951 Crown, then I would agree.

Plenty of coins were struck for another COMMEMORITVE - the 1935 Jubilee.

Incidentally, crowns WERE struck for circulation, this being the intended purpose for 1902, 1928-1934, 1935, 1936, 1937, 1951, 1953, 1960, 1965 in the predecimal series.

9 hours ago, VickySilver said:

Incidentally, crowns WERE struck for circulation, this being the intended purpose for 1902, 1928-1934, 1935, 1936, 1937, 1951, 1953, 1960, 1965 in the predecimal series.

This is getting into the realm of unwanted argument! I already said the 1902 question is open though it raises the question of why no other Ed7 crowns were issued. Wreaths were clearly NOT issued for circulation, as can be seen from the extremely low mintages; my understanding is they were issued for collectors or those who liked the design, and may have been sold via ballot? (Or perhaps that was just the precious metal proofs). 1951, 1960, and 1965 we agree were commems, though the numbers of 1965 crowns was so high (public demand?) that it could be argued they were also for circulation though I never ever saw one in change, or anyone offering one as payment. 1937 and 1953 were 'first year of reign' which by definition is a commemoration. 

In all my time as a collector, I have never seen a single crown of any date in circulation as currency. Never.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

This is getting into the realm of unwanted argument! I already said the 1902 question is open though it raises the question of why no other Ed7 crowns were issued. Wreaths were clearly NOT issued for circulation, as can be seen from the extremely low mintages; my understanding is they were issued for collectors or those who liked the design, and may have been sold via ballot? (Or perhaps that was just the precious metal proofs). 1951, 1960, and 1965 we agree were commems, though the numbers of 1965 crowns was so high (public demand?) that it could be argued they were also for circulation though I never ever saw one in change, or anyone offering one as payment. 1937 and 1953 were 'first year of reign' which by definition is a commemoration. 

In all my time as a collector, I have never seen a single crown of any date in circulation as currency. Never.

Looked this up, as I thought the same as you Chris. I've certainly never seen one in circulation (as a 25p piece, as it were). Also called my parents who confirmed they never had - period. Halfcrowns, yes, abundantly, but not crowns.

In any case, surely if they'd been intended for circulation, more would have been minted, and in many more years than was actually the case.   

Although whilst looking this up, it did surprise me that banks are no longer accepting them at face value - link to story