British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paddy

Is the Royal Mint that desperate for money?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-48392141

Article from the BBC - RM selling off an 1819 Sovereign for £100,000.

I was wondering if that was from their own collection, as the world isn't exactly overrun with these.

£100k seems excessive considering Spink value a Fine grade at £45k, also if it was from their own collection they would have the need to verify it by their own historic coin experts. As an aside, it was the Bentley coin that sold for £186k

https://issuu.com/baldwinscoins/docs/full_for_issuu

page 6

Edited by azda

It's one of those coins where the book is irrelevant. Barring a hoard find, there will always be more buyers than coins extant, let alone available.

26 minutes ago, Rob said:

It's one of those coins where the book is irrelevant. Barring a hoard find, there will always be more buyers than coins extant, let alone available.

Yes agreed, but I think it would have to be a type collector that would have to have it. I couldn’t bring myself to buying it even for the rarity

• Like 1

bentley one (EF) sold for $288k,  Id say this one is on par grade wise(if not the same coin, unsure from pictures) with the one sold in the hemisphere collection may 2014 for £41k.

Really confusing the way they are trying to sell this, making it out like you will "win" or get something for a great price if you are the lucky chosen one. maybe a skilled marketing gimmick that will entice someones complete pension pot into this coin with a £60k profit to the RM.

Interesting aspects none the less .

51 minutes ago, rpeddie said:

bentley one (EF) sold for $288k,  Id say this one is on par grade wise(if not the same coin, unsure from pictures) with the one sold in the hemisphere collection may 2014 for £41k.

Really confusing the way they are trying to sell this, making it out like you will "win" or get something for a great price if you are the lucky chosen one. maybe a skilled marketing gimmick that will entice someones complete pension pot into this coin with a £60k profit to the RM.

Interesting aspects none the less .

This was my thinking, i'd assume they now have a better specimen in their collection and are using this duplicate as a marketing tool.

Aren't sovereign rarities now joined in some way with the Royal Mint ?

Hemisphere coin on the left and the one for ballot from the RM, both 1 and the same for me. The dig through the 2nd A in BRITANNIAR running through and into the I and 2nd N is on both these coins, also an X type scratch to the left of the ear, again on both coins, dig on the top colon between D:G

1819 joined.jpg

3 hours ago, mhcoins said:

This was my thinking, i'd assume they now have a better specimen in their collection and are using this duplicate as a marketing tool.

Aren't sovereign rarities now joined in some way with the Royal Mint ?

94291EF1-EE5B-4C2A-B4E0-411F6D188FD0.jpeg

1 hour ago, azda said:

Hemisphere coin on the left and the one for ballot from the RM, both 1 and the same for me. The dig through the 2nd A in BRITANNIAR running through and into the I and 2nd N is on both these coins, also an X type scratch to the left of the ear, again on both coins, dig on the top colon between D:G

1819 joined.jpg

Agreed. (Or to put it in terms the RM understands, "a greed")

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 years and over 100% increase in price. 

Really don't see the appeal of spending 100k on an 1819 sovereign in circulated condition. I'd much rather have a William IV crown or a top grade 5 guinea if I had to chose from the British rarities.

Just out of interest, my 1972 Seaby catalog lists this coin at £750 in fine. That's roughly £10,000 corrected for inflation. If this does sell for £100k that's an impressive appreciation in value. The hammered rarities have not fared so well. The Matilda penny is priced in at £425  in Fine in 1972 - whereas the last one I remember at auction went for just over £1000 if I recall correctly.  

12 hours ago, azda said:

1819 joined.jpg

yes definitely the same coin David

• Like 1

image.png.04aef96a047d2abfcc8b966bffef6ec3.png

been in the ether from 1974-2018

Decent marketing really, kinda jealous i don't have all these tools at my disposal to jack up prices 

Edited by rpeddie
  • Haha 1

My understanding, and judging from the RMs own emails is that they are now marketing coins from collector sources for sale, either directly or through auction. As has been pointed out this specimen appears to not be from their own sources.

• Like 1