British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sylvester

Predecimal coins in change - When did you last see...

Well we all know that Britain went decimal in 1971, and that after August 1971 the only pre-decimal coins to be encountered in active circulation were the sixpences, shillings and florins, mostly from 1947 onwards. These three denominations each met their end in 1980, 1990 and 1993 respectively.

The question that has been puzzling me for years though is do any of you recall seeing anything other than post-1947 coins actively circulating at any point from September 1971 to June 1993?

I remember all too well the abundance of George VI and Elizabeth florins even to the very end. I missed out on the sixpences being born after they had been withdrawn. I recall the odd Liz shillings but seldom so, and no George VI ones in the run up to 1990.

I have an inkling that I may have encountered some silver George VI florins, but very few, I seem to recall a 1930s one once - sometime in the early 90s. I was also shown by the local post office owner a George V florin that had been used for payment, this would have been sometime around 1992, after the small coins had debuted. Can't recall ever seeing any other George V coins in circulation.

Interested if anyone has similar unusual sightings that they remember.

I got a 1930s George V silver shilling in change as a 5p in the very late 80s/early 1990/1 if I remember correctly.  It was whilst I was on a day out in London.

Other than that, I only ever came across cupro-nickel George VI and Elizabeth II shillings and florins.

Ian

Just two pre-47s in the 80s for me - 1940 & 1946 shillings, both in surprisingly good nick suggesting that they hadn't circulated for all that time.  Remember getting G V silver in abundance in the late 60's/early 70s, only ever got one pre-1920 (Edw VII 6d, date unreadable).  

I received a 1942 florin in my change circa October 1989. That was literally the one and only time I ever received any pre 1947 coinage. 

• Like 1

Got a Denarius ca 2nd century as I recall in change in place of a small 5p ca 2010 - sadly it was a fake.

Luv Dave

• Haha 1

I worked as a teenager in several J Lyons teashops during the late 1960s, prior to decimalisation, often on the till (it was this experience that sparked my interest in coins), and at that time I never once saw an Edward VII silver coin of any kind, nor did I see any pre-1920 silver coins. Even pre-1947 were scarce, but not that unusual, albeit generally very worn. Clearly, the sterling silver coins were being rapidly taken out of circulation even prior to decimal day. Given this, I would be surprised if many such coins stayed in circulation post-decimalisation.

Bronze was not much different. Edward VII pennies were fairly common, halfpennies not so. Victorian pennies were readily available, albeit worn washers or old head in about Fine grade. I never once saw a Victorian halfpenny of any grade.

23 minutes ago, DaveG38 said:

I worked as a teenager in several J Lyons teashops during the late 1960s, prior to decimalisation, often on the till (it was this experience that sparked my interest in coins), and at that time I never once saw an Edward VII silver coin of any kind, nor did I see any pre-1920 silver coins. Even pre-1947 were scarce, but not that unusual, albeit generally very worn. Clearly, the sterling silver coins were being rapidly taken out of circulation even prior to decimal day. Given this, I would be surprised if many such coins stayed in circulation post-decimalisation.

Bronze was not much different. Edward VII pennies were fairly common, halfpennies not so. Victorian pennies were readily available, albeit worn washers or old head in about Fine grade. I never once saw a Victorian halfpenny of any grade.

I wonder why they vanished so quickly, as compared to the pennies. You'd have thought they both saw about the same level of circulation, overall.   

I got a 1912 Half Sovereign in change in place of a penny in about 2005 - but I guess that doesn't really count!

• Like 2

In the late 60's there was plenty of pre 47 silver about although I don't recall pre 20.

There was also a lot of Vicky WH and Ed V11 pennies usually worn.Hardly any 1/2d's though. The highlight of beach holiday's were the amusement arcades where I would snaffle anything  interesting (armed with my 4 check your change mini books)  Post 71 I was more interested in using old 1/2d's in the 2p cash falls and crane grabs...I've always been a bit of a "loose cannon"

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Peter said:

In the late 60's there was plenty of pre 47 silver about although I don't recall pre 20.

There was also a lot of Vicky WH and Ed V11 pennies usually worn.Hardly any 1/2d's though. The highlight of beach holiday's were the amusement arcades where I would snaffle anything  interesting (armed with my 4 check your change mini books)  Post 71 I was more interested in using old 1/2d's in the 2p cash falls and crane grabs...I've always been a bit of a "loose cannon"

During all the times I spent in amusement arcades in Southend as a kid, I never once managed to get anything from those damn things. As soon as you go anywhere near the drop point, the grabber would open and drop the item somewhere else. Those machines were obviously fixed.   

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

I got a 1912 Half Sovereign in change in place of a penny in about 2005 - but I guess that doesn't really count!

What a fantastic result that must have been!

In answer to the original question - a few, mostly in 1990 and 1991 when I worked as a betting shop cashier.  A couple of shillings, one of which was George V and the other being George VI, and three florins, two of which were George V and one which was George VI.  Two of these florins remain in my collection.  The better one is a 1929 specimen and is at least VF, with traces of lustre.  A nice coin that I still treasure!

17 hours ago, Paddy said:

Lucky! I think there was a news story about a boy getting a sovereign in change as a pound a year or two ago as well.

• Like 2

I remember the old penny falls and looking to see if there were any old ones ready to fall.  I remember spotting an 1895 (when I was trying to complete a date set 1860-1967) and spending about 2/- before it finally fell.  It's the only coin from my very early phase of collecting (I was about seven years old) that I still have.   Also trying for an 1883 a couple of years later, running out of money, and getting it by putting a lolly stick into the slot.  (Hope the statute of limitations has expired on that!)  

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, pokal02 said:

I remember the old penny falls and looking to see if there were any old ones ready to fall.  I remember spotting an 1895 (when I was trying to complete a date set 1860-1967) and spending about 2/- before it finally fell.  It's the only coin from my very early phase of collecting (I was about seven years old) that I still have.   Also trying for an 1883 a couple of years later, running out of money, and getting it by putting a lolly stick into the slot.  (Hope the statute of limitations has expired on that!)  

My equivalent is collecting 4x1977 and 5x1972 Maltese 1 cent pieces that are the same size as the decimal 2p. They're worth about the same to this day. :)

A few pre-47 florins. Surprisingly, not a single sixpence or shilling with silver in IIRC.

Do bear in mind that in the great silver meltdown of 1980, most pre-47 coins were actively sought and sold for melt. Remember - in 1980 the BU value for most George VI silver florins was £2. At the height of that year's silver madness, they rose to £12 before falling back again when the madness ended. The chances of finding pre-47 after 1980 dropped dramatically.

Not much to contribute, but did get a worn 1928 6d in 1968 whilst passing through as a lad..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

A few pre-47 florins. Surprisingly, not a single sixpence or shilling with silver in IIRC.

Do bear in mind that in the great silver meltdown of 1980, most pre-47 coins were actively sought and sold for melt. Remember - in 1980 the BU value for most George VI silver florins was £2. At the height of that year's silver madness, they rose to £12 before falling back again when the madness ended. The chances of finding pre-47 after 1980 dropped dramatically.

I'd bet that the odd ones which did turn up in change post 1980 were most likely found in old drawers, pockets etc, and just added to be spent by individuals completely unaware of any further intrinsic interest or value (not that one on its own would be of much use anyway)   

• Like 1

Well that was pretty much as I surmised! I had an inkling that there would be a significant drop off as the 70s progressed to the great price rises of 1980 and then pretty dormant until the early 90s when the larger coins were being phased out, the sudden last dash to get rid of old coins - probably spent by those that didn't realise that the pre-47s contained silver.

I can't say I'm surprised about the lack of pre-20 coins, the mint were actively withdrawing these throughout the 1930s, much in the same way as the silver replacement program of the 1940s, when the half silver coins were being culled by banks and returned to the mint, (the exact same thing that is happening now with the pre-2011 5p and 10p coins in the cupronickel recall).

I got a 1950's 6pence in my change in 2009. I guess they thought it was a 5p. Hard to imagine that coin floating around for 50 odd years.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2019 at 6:18 PM, Peter said:

God Peter that makes my early life flash in front of me...

My late Father would give me a half crown if he wanted me out of his hair for the afternoon, and I would hang around in the small amusement arcade

that was on the ramp down to Tenby Harbour, inside one of the arches set into the cliff. I would try and not incur the wrath of the arcade owner by watching for the penny waterfall to get ready for a big drop.....and yes, my faithful dog-eared copy of 'Check Your Change' was in my pocket.!

• Like 1

On 6/8/2019 at 7:25 PM, Stenhouse said:

I got a 1950's 6pence in my change in 2009. I guess they thought it was a 5p. Hard to imagine that coin floating around for 50 odd years.

I can imagine it, and they were 50 odd years.......