British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Bit disappointing from the penny enthusiast's point of view, although there's a very nice Freeman 1 on offer for someone. You can forgive the carbon spots on such a rare coin

There is, however, another penny which I might go for as a meaningful upgrade.

Interesting that the estimates on the UNC 1902 LT penny have gone up substantially on the one they put up for bid in the March auction, and I won with a £240 bid. Probably because the bids were well above the estimates then. Although the specimen now on offer isn't as good as the March one, which was virtually flawless. As well as the carbon spot which they mention, there are also a number of other very visible tiny spots, on the obverse especially.   

Edited by 1949threepence
clarified a poorly written post

4 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Bit disappointing from the penny enthusiast's point of view, although there's a very nice Freeman 1 on offer for someone. You can forgive the carbon spots on such a rare coin

There is, however, another penny which I might go for as a meaningful upgrade.

Interesting that the estimates on the UNC 1902 LT penny have gone up substantially on the one they put up for bid in the March auction, and I won with a £240 bid. Probably because the bids were well above the estimates then. Although the specimen now on offer isn't as good as the March one, which was virtually flawless. As well as the carbon spot which they mention, there are also a number of other very visible tiny spots, on the obverse especially.   

I saw the 1919KN at the last DNW where it went for £1000, colour was quite good, but somewhat optimistically called "full original colour".  I was put off slightly by the bad definition/fuzziness of the reverse strike with the KN visible but virtually illegible. That's usually more a characteristic of the Heaton 18/19 pennies. Still, a rare coin in this condition.

2 minutes ago, oldcopper said:

I saw the 1919KN at the last DNW where it went for £1000, colour was quite good, but somewhat optimistically called "full original colour".  I was put off slightly by the bad definition/fuzziness of the reverse strike with the KN visible but virtually illegible. That's usually more a characteristic of the Heaton 18/19 pennies. Still, a rare coin in this condition.

Getting a decent strike, as opposed to just nominally UNC, is the real toughie with the H's and KN's - especially the H's. I'be been incredibly lucky with three of the four, with the 1918H still outstanding  

Not a lot there for me.

Ditto on the "H" minted coins. At least to me, the metal alloy is many times off and especially on the 1919s, as well as the mushy strikes that they are famous for. I finally got a 19H that I can live with.  Will have a look-see at the most recent auction...

I got a very nice 1918 KN last year  a 1919H before that, but not as nice. So still gaps to fill with 1918H and 1919KN. If only i could fill them with coins this nice.

239.jpg

Edited by Iannich48
  • Like 4

Please show the 1919H   . I really like this date when especially well struck!

On 5/7/2019 at 2:29 PM, oldcopper said:

The 1919KN at the June 2019 LCA gets a fair bit of hype in the write up, but in reality isn't a brilliant strike, on either side.   

58 minutes ago, VickySilver said:

Mine is not well struck, probably below average tbh. 

On 5/8/2019 at 8:04 PM, 1949threepence said:

The 1919KN at the June 2019 LCA gets a fair bit of hype in the write up, but in reality isn't a brilliant strike, on either side.   

On 5/8/2019 at 7:29 PM, VickySilver said:

Mine is not well struck, probably below average tbh. 

I won't be bidding on that 1919KN either. It is not quite nice enough on the reverse, like has been said.                   But i do have a list of four Vicky pennies and a shilling that i will bid on.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nonmortuus said:

Anyone know when the results are likely to be posted?

Think it is Banknote Auction today, probably no one in the Office until Tomorrow/Wednesday

• Thanks 1

Can't think of any reason why the results can't be posted immediately; someone obviously enters the hammer price into a database somewhere. At the very least it should be released after close of play on the day. Plenty of other auction houses can do this.

On 5/11/2019 at 9:58 PM, Iannich48 said:

I won't be bidding on that 1919KN either. It is not quite nice enough on the reverse, like has been said.                   But i do have a list of four Vicky pennies and a shilling that i will bid on.

It didn't sell. Not a great surprise really.

Interestingly the really nice F1 went for £700 - actually £200 less than the one I got in December 2017, which isn't as good. 

The F7 went for £600. The 1902 LT went for £300 and the poorly struck 1918H went for £320 (all hammer) 

Were you successful with any or all of your bids? Did they include any of the above?

Edited by 1949threepence

I ended up getting the 1874 shilling after looking at the one in my collection that was not nice enough. I also got the 1874 Halfcrown, but it may have hairlines that are not obvious on internet site - so it went cheap...

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

It didn't sell. Not a great surprise really.

Interestingly the really nice F1 went for £700 - actually £200 less than the one I got in December 2017, which isn't as good. 

The F7 went for £600. The 1902 LT went for £300 and the poorly struck 1918H went for £320 (all hammer) 

Were you successful with any or all of your bids? Did they include any of the above?

I won nothing, but none of my bids were top end of the estimates. My biggest bid was for the F7, which was a nice coin.

33 minutes ago, Iannich48 said:

I won nothing, but none of my bids were top end of the estimates. My biggest bid was for the F7, which was a nice coin.

Better luck next time.

1 hour ago, VickySilver said:

I ended up getting the 1874 shilling after looking at the one in my collection that was not nice enough. I also got the 1874 Halfcrown, but it may have hairlines that are not obvious on internet site - so it went cheap...

The halfcrown looks nice Vicky!

Yes, I am rather hoping that there are not too many hairlines [that I could not see]. At least they are much more honest than Spink was in that October sale last year - I forgot the vendor but I think he got the cleaning brush out on nearly his entire collection.

Dummy me bought a couple of the coins based on Spinks poor pictures and descriptions & should really have sent them back... I will share pics of the Halfcrown if someone might help me when it arrives.

Vicky, I got caught out in the same Spink sale to a degree, bought a lot of halfcrowns, some were great, some where not in hand. No issues were mentioned on the description but I should have asked to see the Obverse side of the coins as only the Revs were showing in the auction guide. Over all happy with the purchase but the one coin I really wanted had issues which meant the price paid was OTT. Lesson learned.